FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Which clear lens variants are you interested in?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front turn signals (recessed in fascia)

12 63.16%
  • Front turn signals (flush with bumper)

6 31.58%
  • Side markers

11 57.89%
  • Door lights (lenses only -- see below for details)

3 15.79%
  • Taillights (one column of amber light)

5 26.32%
  • Taillights (two columns of amber light, at extra cost)

2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clear Lenses for Exterior Lights (Interest Thread)

Clear Lenses for Exterior Lights (Interest Thread)

This is a project I've wanted to pursue for a while. Now that I'm getting a 3D printer in, I can actually start this project. Basically, I would create 99% identical to OEM lenses for the exterior lights on a DeLorean, except clear instead of colored. The 1% difference is the "layering" effect inherent in the extrusion-based printing process, which I would attempt to mitigate as much as possible. Items will first be scanned in via a 3D scanner, then printed in clear plastic, replicating all stock functions (reflectors, for example). For some parts, this will be easy (side markers, for example), others will be difficult (taillights), due entirely to construction differences.

Parts list is in the poll above.

For the door lights, I may try to see if I can create better light distribution through various methods. I know one of the clubs (forget which -- AZ maybe?) sells colored door lenses, and Tom in Poland (DeLoreana.com) sells plexiglas versions, so I'd need to "improve" upon it to make it a feasible product. That's why it's last on my list to replicate.

Taillights are going to be the most expensive part due both to high part cost and difficult construction. I will attempt (key word) to get the outermost section lighting amber in addition to the column just inside of it, but no guarantees. I remember the rear fascia was in the way last time, so I'll need to either find a way around that or collaborate with someone more knowledgeable to see how much of the rear fascia can be trimmed away in that area before structural integrity becomes an issue.

If you're interested, please vote in the poll above and leave a response so I know who wants what! Will keep everyone posted on progress as this develops

My VIN:    2347

Would the tail lights be DOT legal?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by davidc89 View Post
    Just 3D print the DOT when you make the lens

I think as long as your light color is correct, you should not have a problem but check out your state safety inspection info.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

awesome idea! I would be happy enough just with the front turn signals and side markers
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    5312

Side markers yes!

My VIN:    4322

Definitely in for front turn signals and side markers. Would be happy to get these done first, then look at taillights down the track as they seem the most difficult.

This was posted on the Aus Facebook page recently, same idea

11139461_10153364531134917_7429493537186639957_n.jpg

My VIN:    2347

Basically they would need to be reflective for DOT standards

Wow, there's a lot more interest in this than I thought! Sweet, will definitely get the ball rolling on this as soon as I get my printer in!

I'm thinking of doing a "core" for the front units, since they do have the black portion attached to the amber lens. I still have the front amber lenses from my D, so I'll convert those first, then start a cycle of "ship clear variants, receive amber variants, repeat". Basically once you receive the clear versions, you ship back the amber ones. Then I convert those to clear ones and pass them along to the next customer. If for whatever reason you decide you want to keep your amber variants, then the core is simply not refunded and is instead used to buy some from DPI at-cost, which are in turn used for the next run.

For taillights, more than likely I'll buy damaged units (cracked, partially faded, etc.) from whoever has them, convert those, then sell them with a bit of markup to cover the production process. This not only saves the buyer money overall, it also preserves taillights from being discarded due to issues that this process would fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Just 3D print the DOT when you make the lens

I think as long as your light color is correct, you should not have a problem but check out your state safety inspection info.
    Considering modern cars are going this route now that LED's are commonplace (Prius is a good example), I'd highly doubt it would run into any trouble in the US. Other countries may not be so lucky though.

Dave #2 is correct in that the DOT markings will be preserved when they're printed, although probably indented like the rear bumper so I don't need to worry about wasting a few "support" layers on the rest of it. Basically what I'm doing is converting the physical lens into a digital model by means of 3D scanning, fixing any issues, then printing them out in clear.

EDIT:
    Basically they would need to be reflective for DOT standards
    Yes, they will be. All interior and exterior surface topology will be retained, so any reflective sections will remain reflective.

Just wanted to post an update: after thinking my M3D Micro would never ship and I would be SOL with it (I paid for it back in April), I ordered a RigidBot on clearance. The RigidBot arrived yesterday, and the M3D Micro just shipped and will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm assembling the RigidBot and should have it done within the next few days. Then it's on to printing the 3D Atlas, and it's smooth sailing from there!

My VIN:    2483

I think this is a fun idea. I love clear things and products. Clear is my favorite color. That is not a joke, it's what I tell people if ever asked.

One thought I had would be as an alternative option to the side markers would be to make them a smokey grey sort of color. I only suggest that since it is in line with the rub strip and would make a consistent looking line that goes across the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast