FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsure of dwell reading

My VIN:    3937

Thank you for explaining all of that.

Ok, the adjustments are definitely not in terms of "hours." You're very right about that. I think my last adjustment put me back around 9:52 pm. Not that I can say it was that exact, but it was less than 10 pm, more than 9:30 pm and more than 9:45 pm too.

Here is what the dwell meter reading looked like before I shut the car off. I had returned the plug to the hole, and did not make any more adjustments after this reading was taken.

It isn't exactly in that 35-45 range with a centre point of 40, but it's close. I know what you mean about trying to get things exact and right to the specs, but my adjustments slightly more or less didn't improve it. It would either go to those larger swings higher or larger swings lower.

I have not test driven the car yet, but from what you see here, I could probably call it good enough and leave as is?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

You should be seeing more action than that. In fact at watching it closely, the RPM increase at idle is the only thing causing any needle swing.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3937

Ok. Here's what I know and some other things I need help in doing.

From that diagnostic chart, my "normal" operation seems to be the description of step "B" where you would see a steady 40-50 if the oxygen sensor was disconnected. Mine isn't disconnected to my knowledge, yet it stays in this steady reading of 44 and doesn't go into any kind of fluctuations on a regular basis. The video clip I shared earlier showed a reading I couldn't get it to do again, even after I felt it would have been plenty warmed up enough to start doing.

With that in mind, step "E" where you see a steady reading of 50-60 while cold, mine definitely does this. It goes to 51 right when you start the engine and stays for about 1 or 2 minutes. Pressing the flap on the full throttle enrichment microswitch will also make it go to this 51 reading and I confirmed that test just a few minutes ago. Releasing the flap has it go back to a steady 44.

A question for testing B, C, and D where you either disconnect the oxygen sensor, ground the connection directly or place a 1.5V battery between the connection and the ground, what is the best way to access it safely at home without a lift? I think at one point I found you could put the rear cradle on jack stands and then let the wheels hang free and you could reach over the wheel and under the wheel well and reach the connection on the oxygen sensor just as it butts up to the frame/grommet. Is this the best way or is there another better option?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

So your getting the same reading during warm up as pressing the WOT switch? That makes me want to guess your lambda ECU is bad. Normally unless it very cold, your warm up dwell is less than WOT dwell. I also think your dwell readings are a little low which may just be your meter accuracy or the ECU.

You should try unplugging and plugging back in the lambda ECU connector. You may have a marginal connection. There are two or three grounds in that connector and the ECU is sensitive to having all them connected.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 10-02-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    A question for testing B, C, and D where you either disconnect the oxygen sensor, ground the connection directly or place a 1.5V battery between the connection and the ground, what is the best way to access it safely at home without a lift?
    My wiring must be routed different than yours since I can get to it reaching over the passenger fender...
    Anyway, don't worry about shielding, just use regular wire to make a temporary extension long enough to do it all under the hood.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1 Michael
    (... kind of like it kicks in and drops right out too. I have a guess....I'm going to go try to reproduce that first...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    So your getting the same reading during warm up as pressing the WOT switch? That makes me want to guess your lambda ECU is bad. Normally unless it very cold, your warm up dwell is less than WOT dwell.
    I'm thinking that is normal because the Full Throttle Enrichment Switch and the Thermal Switch (breaks ground @ 59F) are connected to pin 7 of the Lambda ECU. I.E. Same signal...
    Last edited by Ron; 10-02-2015 at 07:05 PM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm thinking that is normal because the Full Throttle Enrichment Switch and the Thermal Switch (breaks ground @ 59F) are connected to pin 7 of the Lambda ECU.
    Yes, I can't get over that summer has ended. Today was only 55 F.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    My wiring must be routed different than yours since I can get to it reaching over the passenger fender...
    Anyway, don't worry about shielding, just use regular wire to make a temporary extension long enough to do it all under the hood.
    Depends on how lowered your car is, how big your tires are, and how skinny your arms are.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes, I can't get over that summer has ended. Today was only 55 F.
    Remember he's in Canada. Probably already has a foot of snow on the ground.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I disconnected the stock lambda plug that terminated just before the drivers side bulkhead and rewired it so that you could disconnect the sensor easily from the engine bay. Had to get under the car to do this.

I've only just got the lambda system working on mine, it behaves differently to yours. The dwell sweeps back and front more like a windscreen wiper would. Yours looks very hesitant, like it's trying to go closed loop and then gives up for a bit, might be wrong tho!

They run like shit closed loop anyway. Set the mixture to 3% CO and it will be like a different car. :-)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast