FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $%%! Auto Trans Dipstick!!

My VIN:    'Was' 2412

Angry $%%! Auto Trans Dipstick!!

The freaking end tip came off inside the transmission. The leftover piece (inch or two) must be still in the up/down position because the dipstick went just about all the way in.....

Options guys???

Is there any other options then dropping the pan? And if I did that, will it be right there?

What a way to end a great cruise..........

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC_PRIME View Post

The freaking end tip came off inside the transmission. The leftover piece (inch or two) must be still in the up/down position because the dipstick went just about all the way in.....

Options guys???

Is there any other options then dropping the pan? And if I did that, will it be right there?

What a way to end a great cruise..........
    You can remove the dipstick tube at the transmission. Drain the fluid first or you'll have a mess. The only tricky part about this is getting the o-ring back in place without leaks. Order a new O-ring or two when you order the dipstick.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You can remove the dipstick tube at the transmission. Drain the fluid first or you'll have a mess. The only tricky part about this is getting the o-ring back in place without leaks. Order a new O-ring or two when you order the dipstick.
    How is the dipstick tube connected? I am not at my car right now. Actually, as soon as this all happened I had to run to work.. Are you saying this is easier and cheaper than dropping the pan?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Mark

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

How is the dipstick tube connected? I am not at my car right now. Actually, as soon as this all happened I had to run to work.. Are you saying this is easier and cheaper than dropping the pan?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Mark
    The tube merely fits into a hole and it's help in place at the top of the tube by the bracket.. Normally it has o-rings to prevent leakage. I recommend getting the gasket that holds the otterstat valve. It's much nicer and fits perfectly.
    Shannon

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    The tube merely fits into a hole and it's help in place at the top of the tube by the bracket.. Normally it has o-rings to prevent leakage. I recommend getting the gasket that holds the otterstat valve. It's much nicer and fits perfectly.
    Mine leaked recently and needs a new seal. The otterstat seal was suggested, but one concern was raised over compatibility of materials. The material the otterstat seal is made of is able to handle coolant, but not sure it handles ATF as well. Anyone have any history on the long term performance of this otterstat seal in there instead of a couple o-rings?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Wow, sounds like I may not have to drain the pan and open everything up. I can't wait to look at it some more. So this is the route everyone would go? But when I pull the tube out, what are the chances that the broken piece falls out into the transmission? Add my bad luck to that percentage when calculating.

There is nothing but empty space between the end of the dipstick tube and the pan, as far as I know. None of the gear teeth are near there anyway. The filter is in there somewhere though. Not sure where exactly as I've not taken one apart. If the piece goes anywhere it will be to go lie on the bottom of the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There is nothing but empty space between the end of the dipstick tube and the pan, as far as I know. None of the gear teeth are near there anyway. The filter is in there somewhere though. Not sure where exactly as I've not taken one apart. If the piece goes anywhere it will be to go lie on the bottom of the pan.
    Ok, that is what I was thinking also. Dave suggested that I drain the fluid before taking the tube out, is that necessary? I just had that whole pan apart and the fluid is clean as can be.

Ok, that is what I was thinking also. Dave suggested that I drain the fluid before taking the tube out, is that necessary? I just had that whole pan apart and the fluid is clean as can be.
    Drain it, yes. Throw it away, no (unless you really want to).

The suggestion to drain the fluid prior to removing the dipstick tube is because the normal resting fluid level is above the sealing point of the bottom of the dipstick tube. If you remove the dipstick tube, you will be draining some of your fluid. It just depends whether you want it to drain into a bucket or onto the floor.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

If you have just had the pan off, I would drain the fluid and try removing the dipstick tube first. If the tip is in there, then remove and refit the tube with the new seal. If not, then you will need to drop the pan.

I don't think the broken tip can cause any damage as the filter will stop it getting into the pump. Hopefully it will get stuck on the little magnet.

If you hadn't just removed the pan, I would suggest jumping right to that as it wouldn't do any harm having the pan internals and filter inspected.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast