FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Flatbed Tow Truck Clearance

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Flatbed Tow Truck Clearance

Hello... I've searched the archives and the read the transporter's guide but I always thought there was a requirement for a flat bed tow truck to be no taller than a certain height. I can't seem to find anything about maximum height / length of the ramp / angle. My car has not been lowered. Does this matter?

Thanks

Bill
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    Hello... I've searched the archives and the read the transporter's guide but I always thought there was a requirement for a flat bed tow truck to be no taller than a certain height. I can't seem to find anything about maximum height / length of the ramp / angle. My car has not been lowered. Does this matter?

Thanks

Bill
    Besides pulling by the loop on the frame the driver usually will put a board at the base of the ramp so the front spoiler doesn't scrape. If the frame is very rotten you must be extremely careful what you use to pull the car with and where. NEVER by the lower control arms!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1776

The flatbed driver who rescued me was fortunately experienced and knew what to do (he had also towed opethmike's car at some point)

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Besides pulling by the loop on the frame the driver usually will put a board at the base of the ramp so the front spoiler doesn't scrape. If the frame is very rotten you must be extremely careful what you use to pull the car with and where. NEVER by the lower control arms!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybarn View Post
    The flatbed driver who rescued me was fortunately experienced and knew what to do (he had also towed opethmike's car at some point)
    Thanks. Yep, I was thinking about someone scraping their spoiler. Even though this is a planned tow, it's still tough to know who you can trust.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I’m not aware of a maximum height / length of the ramp / angle regarding a flat bed tow truck. I have had my DeLorean towed four times in fourteen years and each time was a different flat bed tow truck and each time was not an issue.
    Of course when I called for a tow they had me describe the DeLorean exactly so they would know what they were dealing with.
    The most recent tow was due to the fact my left front Lower Ball Joint had broke in two and the Lower Link scraped along the ground since the tire was now rubbing the top inside of the wheel well. The left front couldn’t go any lower than that.
    The tow truck operator used a sledgehammer to push a black rubber wedge – sled under the left front tire. When pulling the DeLorean onto the flat bed the rubber wedge – sled stayed under the tire and slid along while supporting the tire.
    When offloading the D the rubber wedge – sled stayed under the tire all the way back onto the ground.
    If your DeLorean is not lowered which mine is not either then getting the D up onto a flat bed will be no problem.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.