FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Re-designed SS Luggage Rack for the DeLorean constructive suggestions required

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Re-designed SS Luggage Rack for the DeLorean constructive suggestions required

Hi all,

I'm after some constructive feedback on the DMC luggage rack.

I am just in the throws of putting together a new design which is going to be maufacured in SS by a local fabrication company, I have an OEM one (pic below for those who haven't seen one before) which I am using as a reference.

image.jpg

The design of the original is actually not as poor as I was led to beleive, but I would be interested to hear from luggage rack users as to any design features which would be useful in a new design, for example there aren't really any luggage strap slots/ hoops anywhere in the original.

Anything like that would be great to know.

Obviously a certain amount of trialing will be involved, you can't be driving along with a luggage rack which whistles in the wind lol.

James
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 05-26-2015 at 05:10 AM.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    Hi all,

I am just in the throws of putting together a new design which is going to be maufacured in SS by a local fabrication company, I have an OEM one (pic below for those who haven't seen one before) which I am using as a reference.

image.jpg

The design of the original is actually not as poor as I was led to beleive, but I would be interested to hear from luggage rack users as to any design features which would be useful in a new design, for example there aren't really any luggage strap slots/ hoops anywhere in the original.

Obviously a certain amount of trialing will be involved, you can't be driving along with a luggage rack which whistles in the wind lol.

James
    Some strap slots would be great. Put them on both the front/back & sides. Will greatly help things from shifting.

I would also suggest keeping the threaded holes for the ski rack. Not that people use it for skis alot but it makes for a great place to attach other items to the top of the rack without using straps. (i.e. like my bike adapter). It may be good to add a couple more along the side.

Some more use shots in this thread.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

SS version would be good. I am pretty happy with mine and no suggestions on design changes. Just make sure that yours will be strong enough to transport a transmission.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The 2 streamline tubes seam a bit flimsy and sag with not much weight. If those could be beefed up a bit, that would be an improvement.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3610

Perhaps using oval piping would reduce whistling. Or maybe a cargo net/tarp to protect and secure your luggage.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    Hi all,

image.jpg

James
    Hi James,

A number of years ago, I started a re-designed SS Luggage Rack project with Bryan and Reg Pearce of Pearce Design Components.
    My re-design concept was to use square tube stainless, to better match the lines of the car, than using round or oval tubes.

This project got put behind the re-designed SS Trailer Hitch project (which was successful and built in limited numbers), then Reg
    decided to retire from building SS components and my re-designed SS Luggage Rack project has been shelved ever since.

If you want any details regarding my re-designed SS Luggage Rack project, feel free to PM me for details.

Thanks,
    Rich W.