FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fixed glass install

My VIN:    Early

Fixed glass install

I have a new driver's door, and I need to install the fixed glass and finisher. I believe I could just glue in the finisher to the door then the glass to the finisher, but is this recommended?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Install the finisher onto the glass, and install the drop glass into the lower door shell, then install the fixed glass, making sure it will mate nicely with the moving glass when raised.

Getting the finisher onto the fixed glass is one of the most frustrating jobs I have ever done on the car - took many hours for me. Would explain how I did it - but I'm sure it was not the easy way.

Anyone?

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

^^ I got extremely frustrated trying to get the finisher into the fixed glass, same thing hours, even ended up messing up the first seal. Round two I added some lube, done in about 10min lol

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I just looked this up as I have new finishers to install...
    The workshop manual specifies using a bead of window sealant around the opening. Then setting the fixed glass and while the sealant is still wet, push the finisher into the wet sealant that squirts out around the window when you press it into place. The window mastic is what holds the finisher in place.

BTW, do not install the drop glass until the fixed is set. You need to use its guide to place the location of the drop glass in the holder.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    15275

The manual is right!

That is what i did for both of my fixed glasses.. put a bead of urethane on the door then install the fixed glass.. then install the finisher and use about fifty pieces of masking tape to hold it in place as it dries. and install the drop glass after the fixed glass had cured in place..

My VIN:    06960

Did that 3 years ago...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?24...ll=1#post54117

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    It's all about knowin the right way to do it.

I screwed around with the drop glass channel seal for about two hours trying to get it on the fixed glass and aluminum channel. You'd think the only way it could go in would be to insert the seal into the channel first and then guide it into the glass. WRONG! Apparently if you do it on the glass first then guide the channel over the rubber, you can do it in 10 minutes flat!

So far today, I have accomplished this...

Attachment 10068

From this...

Attachment 10069
    (I corrected two typos in this quote)

I did this because my drivers side already had the nice finishing rubber trim, but the passenger side did not. I did not like the appearance without the rubber trim.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Did that 3 years ago...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?24...ll=1#post54117

(I corrected two typos in this quote)

I did this because my drivers side already had the nice finishing rubber trim, but the passenger side did not. I did not like the appearance without the rubber trim.
    What is the part # for this rubber trim as I did not see this in my Delorean One parts manual.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    What is the part # for this rubber trim as I did not see this in my Delorean One parts manual.
    108533 or108534
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post

BTW, do not install the drop glass until the fixed is set. You need to use its guide to place the location of the drop glass in the holder.

Cheers
    Steve
    I agree fitment is important, but I chose to fit my new fixed glass with the drop glass installed. I lightly placed the fixed glass on the bead, and then ran the window most of the way up. adjusted the fixed glass as I pushed it in place, and then put the drop glass all the way up and made sure it mated nicely, I then let it cure with the drop glass engaged into the fixed glass to help hold it in position.

Based on the degree I adjusted to get it to fit to the existing location of the drop glass, I'm glad I did. I was close when I estimated the correct spot, but not spot on. I'm not sure I would have gotten as good of a result if later had to adjust the rop glass to my best estimation for the fixed glass.

Totally respect what you are advising, but when I made up the procedure myself years back, this is how I did it and it worked very well and I knew I would have a good seal with the drop window. I'd suggest that it can be done either way, and I can advise that I had excellent results.

If I did something dumb, and just got lucky, I wont feel defensive. Please advise on the pitfalls of my approach if your thinking of something I did not. Did I just luck out?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    108533 or108534
    I am talking about the rubber trim that goes in between the drop glass channel and the fixed glass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast