FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorean for sale at Mutual Enterprises.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Delorean for sale at Mutual Enterprises.

I like how the ad says original car.

Probably not a horrible car, but a tad high priced.

http://www.mutualent.net/mobile/mdet...VID=253728489#

My VIN:    16882.

Disagree. $29,990 is not a "tad high priced""." (Probably) the worst DeLorean I've ever seen sold for $25,000 2 months ago.. We need to start giving our cars the credit they deserve.
    Last edited by Hokie; 05-31-2015 at 06:44 PM.

My VIN:    1800

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Disagree. $29,990 is not a "tad high priced""." (Probably) the worst DeLorean I've ever seen sold for $25,000 2 months ago.. We need to start giving our cars the credit they deserve.
    I completely agree. I just saw a basket case project car go for nearly $20k. I'm hoping the prices keep climbing and this mythical "$25k rule" goes out the window.
    Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual, LS4 V8 swapped

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

YouTube - "Going Broke Garage"

My VIN:    1150

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm more than happy to help prove your point by selling VIN1150 for more than this car, just wish the right new owner would come a long and find her little sooner ;-)

One car in a bidding war doesn't mean the brand as a whole is valuable. If it's really as bad as you're implying, all of ours that are low-mileage, pristine, and fully restored drivers must be six figure cars, but I don't see anyone lining up to buy them for that price. Who here isn't "giving our cars the credit they deserve"?

For a car that lacks a VIN (the site says it's all X's), has an unexplained box and label in the engine bay, and most importantly had zero pictures of the underside, I would most certainly call 30K "a tad high priced". Without adequate pictures or verbage, it's a big gamble. he says it "runs and drives great", but doesn't go into detail. He says it's been "well cared for over its lifetime", but doesn't specify where it was maintained or what was involved (or even if it includes service history). He also calls it original, but I see modifications to rule that out (radio, steering wheel, etc.). That's basically all the semi-useful information we have.

These aren't Lamborghinis we're selling here, they're DeLoreans. As much as I like the thought of my car being far more valuable than I could ever afford, the reality does not seem to fit that. It's just a temporary price increase brought on by the BTTF craze. No need to be harsh against one tiny comment on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    I like how the ad says original car.

Probably not a horrible car, but a tad high priced.

http://www.mutualent.net/mobile/mdet...VID=253728489#
    Is it my imagination or is the window taped to keep it from falling down in the first couple pics? For 30g I'd at least expect zero tape holding it together AND working windows. On the surface it doesn't look too bad, but that doesn't mean much with old cars that don't show rust.

Quote Originally Posted by valdez View Post
    Is it my imagination or is the window taped to keep it from falling down in the first couple pics? For 30g I'd at least expect zero tape holding it together AND working windows. On the surface it doesn't look too bad, but that doesn't mean much with old cars that don't show rust.
    I was wondering why pics 3 and 4 were both there. Good eye. Looks like the window is half-down from pic 4 onwards. That, plus a broken trip reset shaft, plus the lack of frame pics, plus snow clearly visible in the background of some of the shots, has me highly skeptical of this car.

Has anyone been in contact with the seller? I'm curious as to why there's such a lack of available information on this car.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    One car in a bidding war doesn't mean the brand as a whole is valuable. If it's really as bad as you're implying, all of ours that are low-mileage, pristine, and fully restored drivers must be six figure cars, but I don't see anyone lining up to buy them for that price. Who here isn't "giving our cars the credit they deserve"?

For a car that lacks a VIN (the site says it's all X's), has an unexplained box and label in the engine bay, and most importantly had zero pictures of the underside, I would most certainly call 30K "a tad high priced". Without adequate pictures or verbage, it's a big gamble. he says it "runs and drives great", but doesn't go into detail. He says it's been "well cared for over its lifetime", but doesn't specify where it was maintained or what was involved (or even if it includes service history). He also calls it original, but I see modifications to rule that out (radio, steering wheel, etc.). That's basically all the semi-useful information we have.

These aren't Lamborghinis we're selling here, they're DeLoreans. As much as I like the thought of my car being far more valuable than I could ever afford, the reality does not seem to fit that. It's just a temporary price increase brought on by the BTTF craze. No need to be harsh against one tiny comment on price.
    The inadequate information, as you mention, usually leaves one to assume an average car. And IMHO, an average D priced at $30,000 is not unreasonable. It's a respectable price. The actual value will be set once a buyer inspects it in person and makes an offer which is accepted. In the meantime, I respect the owners right to advertise based on what he thinks it is worth and would never (again) do anything to devalue his car in the marketplace, especially if I haven't seen it in person, and especially if I'm not looking to buy. (I did such a thing once, and it was stupid and rude of me to talk down the value of a brand I own.)
    Last edited by Hokie; 06-03-2015 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessBullet View Post
    I completely agree. I just saw a basket case project car go for nearly $20k. I'm hoping the prices keep climbing and this mythical "$25k rule" goes out the window.
    Amen. We'll see if the upward trend continues. A lot of that depends on how the current owners talk about our own cars and how we support sellers. If I look at a car with a buyer, I'll give the buyer my opinion. That was done for me and I intend to pay it forward. Other than that, none of my business how much someone sells their car for - best of luck to all sellers! A rising tide lifts all boats!
    Last edited by Hokie; 06-03-2015 at 02:02 AM.

The inadequate information, as you mention, usually leaves one to assume an average car. And IMHO, an average D priced at $30,000 is not unreasonable. It's a respectable price. The actual value will be set once a buyer inspects it in person and makes an offer which is accepted. In the meantime, I respect the owners right to advertise based on what he thinks it is worth and would never (again) do anything to devalue his car in the marketplace, especially if I haven't seen it in person, and especially if I'm not looking to buy. (I did such a thing once, and it was stupid and rude of me to talk down the value of a brand I own.)
    The prices are too high lately. This car would have been advertised for under 20g a couple years ago. If you already have one of course you side with the 30g more. If you have been saving up watching the prices sky rocket it makes you rethink how badly you want one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast