FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabin Filters, 30 year old smell...

My VIN:    16891

Club(s):   (DMA)

Cabin Filters, 30 year old smell...

So... we know our cars are 30 years old now, or almost, and when I turn on the A/C or heat it smells... like old car, like the air goes through some things that are old and have collected a lot of smells over the years.

Are there things like cabin filters or other A/C components that we can replace with NOS stuff to change this? I am generally OK with the smell given the age of the car, it comes with the territory, but I just thought I'd ask... new build D's or reconditioned ones I doubt smell like 30 year old cars...
    I know there are things in the middle vents I can see open and close that are like foam things with a frame on them that open and close as I turn on the A/C and I can imagine those would hold some odors over the years...

Any suggestions, I'm sure will be helpful and maybe humorous! HA!
    Thanks a lot!

Mark

My VIN:    4534

I sprinkle baking soda on the carpeting and let it sit for a few days (with no driving of course) and then vacuumed it up. That helped remove whatever odors were lingering. I don't like using air fresheners, partially because I never know what one I'm going to be allergic to next, and because they mask more than they eliminate.

Wow... good idea... I'll give that a try... is that enough or does that help with the smell of the air coming out of the air vents?
    Thanks for a great tip!

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

If a mushy smell also comes from the air vents, it probably is debri from whatever fell into the A/C & heater housing.
    Time to clean it up.
    With a shop vac and a hose you may be able to partially clean the housing after removing the fan motor.

Otherwise it's time a a big job: remove console and houding and then open and clean the housing.
    Not the kind of work I look forward to with joy.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    #04839 #02712 #16407

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

If your system is left on recirculate when the car is shut off, all the moisture stays in the evap/heater box with out airing out , over time you can get a musty smell due to bacteria growth.

Usually if a musty smell is present, a general rule of thumb is, before turning the car off, turn the a/c off & put it on vent (fresh air) for a few minutes, when its back to ambient air, then turn the car off. This goes for all cars with a/c, it does help. They also sell a/c system deodorizer that can help get rid or reduce the smell.
    Last edited by TYMCHSR; 08-13-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Another nice tip, thanks... I assume those kits can be bought at a NAPA store or similar store?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Have you done the rodent hunt?

I've been working on my car for almost a year and STILL continue to come across new nests and carcasses in the car. No doubt they contribute to D-stank.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Awesome... "D-stank"... love it! HA!

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Stink also comes from the carpet and padding.

For AC stink, there are foams that you can spray in that kill the stuff, but I have not tried them. Something like this: http://autodax.com/catalog/pdetail.php?prdid=40

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast