FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Filters, 30 year old smell...

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

don't forget about those ozone generators folks....

My VIN:    16891

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    don't forget about those ozone generators folks....
    So, explain this to me... what are you referring to?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerm View Post
    So, explain this to me... what are you referring to?
    http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
    http://www.air-zone.com/autorestorations.html
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Oh right... that kind... I thought he was referring to the spray being harmful to me and my occupants immediately in the car... but if it's just contributing to holes in the ozone layer, then game one, full speed ahead!

Thanks for the links, always good to be informed.

So from what I gather, now that I have all the screws out, there is no way to get the evaporate cover off with out taking the whole dash apart? Right? Oh boy, so close yet so far away...

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

So from what I gather, now that I have all the screws out, there is no way to get the evaporate cover off with out taking the whole dash apart? Right? Oh boy, so close yet so far away...
    Take off the blower fan and vacuum the thing out with a shop vac. Or you could remove the resistor and follow Scotty Kilmer's instructions.

Right... sweeping next... ordering a can of Clean N' Coat also... do NAPA and other auto parts stores have a variant of this stuff that I could get with out having to order it?

My VIN:    #04839 #02712 #16407

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Another nice tip, thanks... I assume those kits can be bought at a NAPA store or similar store?
    I would think so, or even places online like Amazon should carry it.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Bad smells can come from a lot of things. Pull the seats and shampoo the carpets. Pull up the carpet on the driver's side and see if there is any brake fluid. Pull the heater fan motor and clean out the inside of the evap box. Clean the cowl and the well under the cowl of leaves and whatever else is there. Pull the cover and clean the jack storage area. The old, crumbly foam in the evap box can also smell. The only cure is to pull out the box and open it up, a LOT of work. I never had much success with the sprays that claim to work for car A/C. Ozone won't help unless you eliminate the source first. Otherwise the smell will just keep coming back. Rodent piss is smelly and potentially harmful so it should be disinfected if you find evidence of nesting. Use basic bio hazard precautions, a dust mask and eye protection. Dampen with a spray bottle to prevent the dust from becoming airborne and bag it. Wipe down surfaces with diluted household bleach.
    David Teitelbaum

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Bad smells can come from a lot of things. Pull the seats and shampoo the carpets. Pull up the carpet on the driver's side and see if there is any brake fluid. Pull the heater fan motor and clean out the inside of the evap box. Clean the cowl and the well under the cowl of leaves and whatever else is there. Pull the cover and clean the jack storage area. The old, crumbly foam in the evap box can also smell. The only cure is to pull out the box and open it up, a LOT of work. I never had much success with the sprays that claim to work for car A/C. Ozone won't help unless you eliminate the source first. Otherwise the smell will just keep coming back. Rodent piss is smelly and potentially harmful so it should be disinfected if you find evidence of nesting. Use basic bio hazard precautions, a dust mask and eye protection. Dampen with a spray bottle to prevent the dust from becoming airborne and bag it. Wipe down surfaces with diluted household bleach.
    David Teitelbaum
    Dave, when you pull the dash, do you remove the speakers first or can they stay in place? (assuming you disconnect them first)
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast