FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Filters, 30 year old smell...

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerm View Post
    So from what I gather, now that I have all the screws out, there is no way to get the evaporate cover off with out taking the whole dash apart? Right? Oh boy, so close yet so far away...
    Well, not the WHOLE dash. Just the evaporator box, kneepads, and probably the center console too.

The dash itself is the only part that stays, if I remember right. It's not really that difficult of a job, just time-consuming.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If they are the original speakers you will want to replace them anyway, the cones are shot. A good approach to working on any car is when you work on an area of the car you should try to do as much in that area as possible so you don't have to go back for a long time. Some of the things in the dash area include:
    Replacing all of the bulbs
    Checking and replacing any bad vacuum hose
    Rebuilding the mode switch
    Fixing up any previous wiring hacks and damage
    Removing interior trim and giving it a thorough cleaning.
    Replacing the steering bushing if necessary
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I also hang a desiccant bag in the car to absorb moisture while it's parked.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Canon20DFan
    Maybe the car doesn't smell, it's us 30-year old drivers...

My VIN:    16891

Club(s):   (DMA)

Well, as you can see from the pics, I had to make a slight mod to my sweeper to get up into the back of the evaporator to sweep out some debris. A sample of the debris I found back there is attached.
    It really seems like a direct shot through the cowl and into the blower box and to the back of the evaporator, so I think it would be a good idea for all D owners to sweep back there... If oh remove the blower, simply sweeping it out wouldn't take long at all. This will no doubt help me solve my smelly D issue.

And it may be the drivers in some cases but with this smell, I know I don't smell like decaying leaves and road debris! At least no one ever told me I smell like that... I'll check with my wife...

Mark
    Attached Images

Got both my Clean n' Coat and Zeo Trap, just like the YouTube guy said... will be applying and putting everything back together tonight (after the 2 1/2 year old goes to bed)... hopefully all goes according to plan
    I will keep you all posted on the progress and whether or not I'm satisfied with both items... as was stated earlier, D-stank is a pesky thing but with these new items and a good vacuuming out from behind the evaporator to get all that debris out of there... I should be on my way to reducing if not killing my D-stank... at least for a little while.

Thanks a lot for all your help and suggestions, I'll keep y'all posted.

Mark

Oh... my wife and I couldn't figure this out (not related to this post)... how do I get an avatar pic added to my profile? It seemed easier on the old site, can one of you write out short directions to lead me through it... it's probably something simple I'm missing but either way... I can't get it.

Thanks, Mark

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Oh... my wife and I couldn't figure this out (not related to this post)... how do I get an avatar pic added to my profile? It seemed easier on the old site, can one of you write out short directions to lead me through it... it's probably something simple I'm missing but either way... I can't get it.

Thanks, Mark
    At the top of the screen, near the right side click settings

The on the left side about halfway down find edit avatar...

Yep, the difference of one click... I think before (I could be wrong) it was in my profile... Settings, I should have known. THANKS!

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Got both my Clean n' Coat and Zeo Trap, just like the YouTube guy said... will be applying and putting everything back together tonight (after the 2 1/2 year old goes to bed)... hopefully all goes according to plan
    How did the product work for you? I vacuumed out my evaporator with a shop vac a while ago but I don't think I am going to use any cleaning products in there. I've been thinking about using the absorbant bag he was talking about though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast