FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cabin Filters, 30 year old smell...

My VIN:    16891

Club(s):   (DMA)

Well the cleaner worked well. I would recommend it... But, as you are thinking, I'm not sure it is always necessary. I wanted to do it to mine to kind of get me back to square one. Then in a year, when the stuff supposedly will wear off... I will hope it continues to not smell... And I assume that is what will occur... My evaporator didn't get like that over night, so I should be good for a while.
    Is there supposed to be (I don't think there is) another screen covering the air inlet outside, up under the cowl screen? It seems it would help if there was something else to help keep debris out.
    And I sprayed some Lysol inside, on the things that open when you turn the A/C system on.
    I think I managed to beat back the D-Stank! WOOOHOOO!

So here is another question... With the set up of wires underneath the blower, not the grey plug, but the bunch of individual connections, is there anything on there that I could have reconnected in the wrong place that would have caused the car to really heat up? My car never runs above the second white line but after I put everything back together and ran the heat for 20 mins, like the directions on the clearner said, my temp was almost to 220... Needle at a 90 degree angle. Could it just have been the idling? My fans were running as normal and everything appeared to be running normally, fans, A/C, blower fans etc. Or was it just the heat and from idling the whole time... Oh I hope I didn't wreck one thing while trying to fix/better another. Is there any correlation here? HELP!

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerm View Post
    So here is another question... With the set up of wires underneath the blower, not the grey plug, but the bunch of individual connections, is there anything on there that I could have reconnected in the wrong place that would have caused the car to really heat up? My car never runs above the second white line but after I put everything back together and ran the heat for 20 mins, like the directions on the clearner said, my temp was almost to 220... Needle at a 90 degree angle. Could it just have been the idling? My fans were running as normal and everything appeared to be running normally, fans, A/C, blower fans etc. Or was it just the heat and from idling the whole time... Oh I hope I didn't wreck one thing while trying to fix/better another. Is there any correlation here? HELP!
    No. The blower operation has nothing to do with engine cooling.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Ok, so it must have just been from sitting in the garage and idling that whole time... Hopefully that's all it was. Thanks.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    No. The blower operation has nothing to do with engine cooling.
    This is slightly off topic but if you ever get in a pinch and your car starts to overheat you can use the blower motor to help cool your engine until you can get the car off the road. Just put your heat on full blast and put the fan on full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    This is slightly off topic but if you ever get in a pinch and your car starts to overheat you can use the blower motor to help cool your engine until you can get the car off the road. Just put your heat on full blast and put the fan on full speed.
    Ok, no, you are exactly on topic... really. Here is what I had running on the car.
    Engine runinng.
    Heat on high.
    Blower on High (to 'dry' the cleaner, as per its instructions).

And then after about 15-20 minutes of sitting in the garage idling to run these things to dry the clearner... the temp was that hot. Almost to 220, just a tick below it... it's never run that hot before and Im not sure if I have a new problem now or if it was just from sitting in the gargage with no other air flow... I have Hervery's fans and nothing else was running... so that's what's making me worry.
    You were right on to suggest that, but that's what I was doing and it still got that hot.
    Thanks!

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

You probably parked the car inside the garage front first.
    That way there will be less fresh air to suck in.
    This raises the temperature more quickly than having the rear in.
    The rear in will "gas" you, but allow the fans to get fresher air from the outside.
    Assuming the garage door is open in both cases.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Yep, it was/is front-in, so... given that I haven't had a problem with cooling before... and since I didn't do anything to the car that would have affected this part of the car, are you saying that I probably don't have anything to worry about?
    Just get it back on the road and see what it does then? Great, at least a feel a bit better now.
    Thanks, I'll keep everyone post when I comlete my windshield washer bottle fix and get my new cowl screen and hood bump stops in.
    I hate/love waiting on parts to come.

Mark

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

I did the front in thing after having worked on the fuel tank area and had to bleed the cooling system.
    Took less time than the other way around
    Also was a good test for the fans.

Give her a spin and see how she behaves.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4