FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: high idle after major service kit work

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    engaging the WOT switch while idling sends dwell to 50 steady.

i'm also getting some grey/white smoke at idle out of the exhaust and some water spitting out of the tail pipes (but this has been that way since i bought the car.. hoping that's just condensation from running the engine in short spurts)

o2 sensor is connected. hoping its mixture.

at a reading of 5, what way should i be turning to adjust the mix? i know ~1/4 turn is basically the full spectrum in either direction.
    Our cars always spit a lot of water when the engine is warming up at idle.

Just make a small change in the mixture each way until you start getting a movement of the dwell. Can't remember which direction increased the reading. You would read 60% with WOT on a duty cycle scale. I think the dwell number would be 54 degrees.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Well, I tried to figure it out several times which readings wants which direction...it's a good way
    to get a headach ...
    Simply turn it a bit in either direction and see if you can get a different reading.

Don't forget to remember how much you turned in which direction and plug the hole !!!

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

I ended up having to turn it over 1/4 turn (close to 1/3 turn) counter clockwise. after doing that, the dwell went from static 5 to oscillating between 40-50 (video posted below).

holding WOT switch brings up to ~52 holding.

2015-06-03 16.41.34.jpg

got a decent puff of blue smoke at startup. so either my valve adjustment was really bad or my valve seals are starting to go as well....

Dwell setting is not that critical but your looking to try to stick with the designed optimal.

Book value setting of dwell is 35 to 45 deg. So you want to set that average dwell at 40 deg.

You set the book value so your engine warm up mixture is preset to the CPR. And when you go wide open throttle the mixture is rich for best power.

Setting the dwell higher will still hold the correct mixture "14.7 AFR" while driving but when you go WOT your mixture will only go a little richer than 14.7 AFR. During warm up you will probably run a little lean, so you may need to let your engine warm up before you get good throttle response.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Dwell setting is not that critical but your looking to try to stick with the designed optimal.

Book value setting of dwell is 35 to 45 deg. So you want to set that average dwell at 40 deg.

You set the book value so your engine warm up mixture is preset to the CPR. And when you go wide open throttle the mixture is rich for best power.

Setting the dwell higher will still hold the correct mixture "14.7 AFR" while driving but when you go WOT your mixture will only go a little richer than 14.7 AFR. During warm up you will probably run a little lean, so you may need to let your engine warm up before you get good throttle response.
    so given that, i should back it off slightly and go clockwise a hair or two. hopefully i can get to that on Friday or Saturday.

I also bought a timing light to also verify timing given all this. who knew a "simple" job of replacing the water pump and doing the major service kit (minus the o2 sensor. haven't gotten around to putting the new one on yet) would lead to this fun.

on the bright side, i'm definitely learning a lot about this particular engine (hopefully not to its detriment ).

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    so given that, i should back it off slightly and go clockwise a hair or two. hopefully i can get to that on Friday or Saturday.

I also bought a timing light to also verify timing given all this. who knew a "simple" job of replacing the water pump and doing the major service kit (minus the o2 sensor. haven't gotten around to putting the new one on yet) would lead to this fun.

on the bright side, i'm definitely learning a lot about this particular engine (hopefully not to its detriment ).
    I would back it off a little. Yes you will learn the quirks of this engine just working on your own car. When I first got my car, I knew nothing about K-jet.
    Dave M vin 03572

This is what I absolutely support and want people to do - spend time withe their car and hobby.

Sad but true - many or most people don't wanna waste their time with it and just want a quick
    answer so that others shall spent their time for them.

Instead - helping somebody who is really interested - is fun :-)

My VIN:    10904

Don't listen to them. Get away from the car while you can! ;-)

checked timing today. dead on 13* BTDC so that's perfect. (taken from cyl 6 plug wire, as the manual says either 1 or 6 can be used... and i didn't feel like taking off the air box to get to cly1's wire )

messed with the fuel mix a bit. its still not 100% (it still likes to occasionally dip down to 30 on the dwell meter but never goes above 50. few times it dives down to closer to 20-10 but then i hear the FV buzz more and it shoots back up. once the engine is really warm that sort of smooths out and it stays between 30-50, occasionally hovering right at 40. so im calling it a win at this point.

one interesting (and in my opinion a good thing) to note. is after messing with the mixture the car turns on (both cold and hot starts) MUCH quicker and surer than it ever has. cold starts were never really a problem but would still take a second or 2 to fire to life. hot starts would take 4-5 seconds. today cold start was literally immediate. hot start was like ~1sec. that alone was impressive to me.

lastly, there's still a bit of light/faint smoke (barely noticeable unless i was really looking for it) once the car's warmed up coming from the engine bay. my guess (and hope) though is that's all the TheRightStuff gasket maker burning and sealing in around the water pump, valve covers and other areas i applied it.

given all that, i think the car's ready for a new and short maiden voyage/shakedown drive tomorrow to the car show.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3