FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Replacement Clock

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

Well, I just had to say something....

Well I had to say something. Yes, it does seem like a similar unit that I used at the centre of the clocks I made, and is in fact pretty much identical to the new version I was working on before I decided to pull the plug on the whole thing.

I think the ones I sourced had a smaller display, more OEM, and mine certainly had a better case, but I glad someone is keeping the idea going. After all those original clocks will keep breaking. And as for the price, seems very reasonable, and again pretty much what I was selling them at.

I think Rob can speak for himself but I'm not sure he's still making his. I was put off from making any more, unless by special order, after the response from some quarters. The other clock promised awhile ago hasn't materialized yet, and I'm waiting with baited breath to see the price point, not to mention all the promised features. Should prove interesting. So maybe these are the only ones left.

I will admit to being overdue for an update on my clock, but you're still paying $100 for a bracket that can be easily made for far cheaper. Hell I could open source a housing on Thingaverse if I wanted to just to piss Hervey off. I'm actually tempted to do exactly that to be honest. But the "do it right" side of me seems to like taking my own approach more.

Hervey is very much a "copy-paste" kind of guy. He sees a part he likes and jury-rigs it for the DeLorean. I can name at least one member here that he screwed over with his ridiculous tactics, who then had to cancel a project that looked very promising (and that I had bid quite a bit of interest in also). Maybe that's why I have so little respect for the guy. Seems he's more interested in the money than the car, which is not a good thing at all. I'm aware he's got bills to pay, but we ALL do. Not all of us have a job and a side business all in one. In fact, most of us don't. And of the ones that do, we don't charge exorbitantly high prices on our products then stiff the customer when we don't pull through. Yet Hervey does.

On second thought, maybe I should open-source that bracket...

Well, you started it

It seems flux3d has taken the low road and has decided to try and resolve this little conflict by trying to start shit publicly, then run like the coward he is when confronted in private. Apparently he has zero interest in mature discussion anymore.

Let me be clear: flux3d has zero room to talk about clocks in the DeLorean world. He's a bracket maker. Nothing more, nothing less. He didn't create any clocks, nor did he disclose that he was using pre-made units sourced from China with an additional 90% markup on those units. In fact, throughout all his posts, he used distraction to avoid admitting this fact. I finally called him out on it after seeing him claim he was going to make some adjustments in the design, and continuing to use slight-of-hand to make buyers, prospective and actual, believe he was selling something he created himself. Then he had the balls to ask me to apologize for what I said. That's odd, I thought if there were any apologies stemming from the whistle-blowing of a con artist, it would be from said con artist. Talk about irony!

In his post (two up from this one), he says "mine certainly had a better case." No, actually, yours was the case. It was sandwiched layers of colored plexiglas that retrofit a new unit into an old hole. Any idiot with access to a laser cutter, calipers, and the internet can easily make one themselves for very cheap. Hell you don't even need the laser cutter anymore with sites like 3DHubs that will let you batch print large quantities of the same bracket on someone else's 3D printer and ship them to you in various colors and materials.

Now as for the slam you made against me in the other thread, remember this: you haven't accomplished anything that a middle schooler in shop class can't accomplish. Yes, I have a blog, and yes, it's known partly for it's exposés. But I'm not just some random guy hiding behind a keyboard. I put my money where my mouth is a long time ago and already have a functional prototype that I built and designed by hand (and unlike you, I actually get to say that with 100% honesty). I even posted a video of it back in December, and have been field testing that unit ever since. Thing is, I had several months of wedding planning to do. After it was all said and done, it didn't appear there was any interest, so I put the project on hold. Then this thread pops up. Now as you can imagine, my GPS clock is back on top of my project list. As far as I am (and many others are I'm sure) concerned, you're the keyboard warrior here, hiding behind the internet and poking others with a stick to provoke them.

LOL

OK I for my part will continue to repair the original clocks :-)

I have heard nothing positive yet about any aftermarket clock so far.
    Even the best self made and most promissing unit so far was uninstalled
    again by a friend - simply because it simply was not readable.
    Keep it stock and keep the value of your car up.

For the europeans here in the forum - PM me if your original clock needs a repair.

AND - I have nothing negative to say about John Hervey - I love his new
    gas struts, two thumbs up !

My VIN:    3452

+1 Elvis.
    I ll think about it for the clock.

Club(s):  

Shep

Shep, I'm tired of this character assassination. I've actually just responded to your message, which (as I'm in the UK) I've only just picked up. There is such a thing as a time difference you know, and it certainly isn't a sign that I'm a "coward". Please, grow up. I answered that message before seeing the typical tirade you've posted, as well as a couple of messages telling me to not worry about your remarks. Seems others are tired as well of these explosions.

If you read the message I've sent you (before seeing what you have posted I might add) I explain why I said I thought it was ironic that you criticized another member for being a "keyboard warrior". I'm sure the irony will be clear to many others. However, I then went on to say that, in my opinion, if we met face to face, without knowing who the other person was, we would probably chat for hours. We both have passions for cars, all things DeLorean, and I'm sure many other things. I'm sure you wouldn't be as rude to me or anyone else face to face. Very few people are that rude. I certainly hope you aren't, if only for those around you in the real world.

This is the problem, the keyboard stops people seeing the other person as a human being. I'm hurt by you accusations, and feel they are both unwarranted, blown out of all proportion, and slanderous.

I made a product which I still use in my car, and I stand by, and many others have messaged me with support on this. Unlike your accusations to the contrary I made very little on each one after paying for parts, postage and packaging. Indeed, if it is so obviously poor quality how come you praise me for it when you received it, sent photos of it in your car to me, posted a link on your blog to my page, and insisted on paying more even when I told you I didn't want your money! Is that the sign of a con-man! Then, after slandering my product wherever you can you mysteriously reveal your own project! No interest you say. Is it any surprise! With all your rants at people everyone want to steer clear for fear of being the next person to get "gunned down" in the forum. Would anyone ever dare to post a criticism of your 100% built clock. Probably some.

Harvey may have his problems. I can't comment, I've never dealt with him. But at least he's not been put off. People like you could kill this car off, bit by bit, by stopping well intentioned individuals contributing to the greater community. That would be a shame.

I apologise to the wider community for the rant. This will be my last hopefully. Not because I'm a coward Shep, but because I imagine talking to your and appealing to your reasoned nature is a futile gesture.

I just don't get you sometimes. You say you're tired of this, yet you instigated this whole mess to begin with. If you didn't want to cause a commotion, why did you start one in the first place??? You could've easily left well enough alone. You could've heeded the admin warning as I did. You could've easily, easily taken your own advice that you presented me with and actually thought before you posted. Instead, you ignored all reason and publicly called me out in a situation that was otherwise resolved. I did the same to you, and now you're playing the victim yet again. If you can't stand the heat, don't start the fire.

I hardly see my remark that you called me out on as ironic. As I stated, I'm no different online than I am in person. If someone starts a fight with me, they damn well better know how to finish it, in person or otherwise. Yes, I confronted that guy for picking on the new kid on the block. We were all new guys at one point. It's not something limited to the online realm. I have and will continue to stand up for what I believe is right, and that was no exception. My supporters (yes, I have them too) have backed me up on that.

You just don't know when to quit, do you?

Could you guys take it to private messages? I haven't even been around that long and I'm already tired of seeing posts between you two about flux's clock module. He's not selling them anymore, and everybody already knows how you feel about the issue, Shep. It'd be nice if you both kept your grievances with each other to just PMs.

Club(s):  

Sorry

Agreed Mario. May I apologise to the forum. Shep caught me at a weak moment while tired last night. I should have just ignored the rant and moved on.

Shep. If you want to rant at me do so via pm and give everyone a break.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    It'd be nice if you both kept your grievances with each other to just PMs.
    It'd be nice if this whole thing started as a PM. Quoting what I said in the other thread before anything happened as it applies here too:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    PM inbox is wide open

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast