FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble starting

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    As Dennis said, the FV should only buzz with the engine running. Maybe your just hearing the idle motor buzz.

Yes you use the dwell meter to get the mixture dialed in when everything is working.
    OK must be... good info. So how would you proceed? If you think its just my mixture, and knowing I already set it as previously described... what's the thought process there? If I start the car using the RPM relay (newly replaced by the way), it runs terrible and I smell raw gas and the exhaust spits.
    Jeff

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    OK must be... good info. So how would you proceed? If you think its just my mixture, and knowing I already set it as previously described... what's the thought process there? If I start the car using the RPM relay (newly replaced by the way), it runs terrible and I smell raw gas and the exhaust spits.
    Hook up your dwell and install the good RPM relay. Your dwell will probably read at the max (85 deg) or min (15 deg) on the four cylinder scale. So make small adjustments until you get it in the 40 deg area.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Hook up your dwell and install the good RPM relay. Your dwell will probably read at the max (85 deg) or min (15 deg) on the four cylinder scale. So make small adjustments until you get it in the 40 deg area.
    Thanks Dave. If its on the max or min like you said, which corresponding way to turn the adjustment?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Thanks Dave. If its on the max or min like you said, which corresponding way to turn the adjustment?
    Good question, I think clockwise increases the dwell but you can just move about a 1/4 turn one way and if that does not work, try the other way. Your probably within a half turn anyway.

You should test your dwell meter by pressing the WOT switch and it reads 54 deg. Adjust the mixture after the engine has warmed up. Dwell will not go closed loop until engine has warmed (about 3 min running).
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 05-31-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

Good question, I think clockwise increases the dwell but you can just move about a 1/4 turn one way and if that does not work, try the other way. Your probably within a half turn anyway.

You should test your dwell meter by pressing the WOT switch and it reads 54 deg. Adjust the mixture after the engine has warmed up. Dwell will not go closed loop until engine has warmed (about 3 min running).
    I don't want to warm the car up with the raw gas, black smoke issue so I guess I'll warm it up with the relay socket jumped (fuel pump only), then turn off car, install RPM relay, turn car back on, and go to dwell setting. I recently replaced the O2 sensor and don't want to foul it, the plugs, or do any other damage in the crappy/rich running state with the RPM relay in.

Where is the WOT switch? I think I know but want to be sure.

Thanks for all the info Dave. I'll report back my findings in the next day or two.
    Jeff

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

WOT switch is what the throttle spool hits at full rotation. Flap switch (white)

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    WOT switch is what the throttle spool hits at full rotation. Flap switch (white)

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis
    Jeff

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

Just been reading through this whole thread and it occurred to me that you might have a problem with your idle speed motor. When I got my car I had to keep my foot on the gas until the car warmed up or it'd just die, similar to what you've described. After chasing Mt trail for ages I tracked the fault to the idle speed ecu. This controls the Isle speed motor using an ossoleting pulse. One of these outputs was blown, causing the idle speed motor to close, starving the engine of air until it warmed up. Rebuilding the ecu solved the problem right away.

By the way that's my video posted at the start of the thread on adjusting the dwell. Hopefully it was useful.

My VIN:    3937

Jeff, from a question/comment a few posts ago... you can get the frequency valve to buzz without the engine running and by just jumpering the RPM relay. I've never tried to start or run the engine this way, as I'm not sure what other aspects of the fuel/lambda system would be bypassed or off doing so, but for troubleshooting, it is a good way to turn on the fuel pump and frequency valve. And without the engine running, there's no mistake in knowing what sound the frequency valve makes.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

If you carry a backup jumper for the RPM relay, it should have two wires and three pins. Brown wire (battery +) gets jumpered to the white/purple (fuel pump) and brown wire gets jumpered to the double yellow red wires.

You can run the FV with that jumper without the engine running. I do that to release rest pressure if I need to work on fuel lines.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast