FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Original tires... Trash'em or keep'em?

My VIN:    3294

Original tires... Trash'em or keep'em?

I'm getting closer and closer each day to finally getting this car back on the road. My car has only 8637 actual miles on it, and it's still sitting on the original factory tires. The tires are hard as a rock, but the tread is absolutely perfect. They are probably not really really safe to drive on, but still look really good, and might be useful for a static displayed car somewhere.

Is there really any reason to keep them or are they just 34 year old hard as a rock tires and only worth the $2 each disposal fee?

For what it's worth, my new tires are going on today. I went with General Altimax RT43's (195-60R-14) on the front, and Cooper Cobra Radial GT's (235 60R-15) on the rears. Couldn't find a matching odd sized set of raised white letters anywhere.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    I'm getting closer and closer each day to finally getting this car back on the road. My car has only 8637 actual miles on it, and it's still sitting on the original factory tires. The tires are hard as a rock, but the tread is absolutely perfect. They are probably not really really safe to drive on, but still look really good, and might be useful for a static displayed car somewhere.

Is there really any reason to keep them or are they just 34 year old hard as a rock tires and only worth the $2 each disposal fee?

For what it's worth, my new tires are going on today. I went with General Altimax RT43's (195-60R-14) on the front, and Cooper Cobra Radial GT's (235 60R-15) on the rears. Couldn't find a matching odd sized set of raised white letters anywhere.
    The tires are actually worth some money to someone who competes in concours judging. They are no good for driving on.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The tires are actually worth some money to someone who competes in concours judging. They are no good for driving on.
    Not very much. I usually give them away. There are only a handful of folks who want them.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC