FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cleaning tires

My VIN:    16375

Cleaning tires

The tires on my car have developed a slimy coating on them, probably due to the quick tire shine crap that I use at car shows. What can I do to remove it and not create a build up again. The only thing that someone suggested to me was Spray 9. What will make the tires look clean and not greasy?
    Everytime I open the garage door, my car costs me a roll of toonies.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Yes, that tire shine garbage will eventually lead to caked on dirt, brake dust, road grime, permanent driveway stains, decreased braking capacity and even tire rubber degradation.

Complete crap.

Get a hard bristle brush and some dish or car soap and when you wash your car from here on out, just give the sidewalls a good brush with soapy water and rinse. They'll look great. Not shiny, but nice, black and clean!

EDIT - I bought a hard bristle brush with a handle from Canadian Tire years ago that was also concave, specifically for cleaning tire sidewalls.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Yes, that tire shine garbage will eventually lead to caked on dirt, brake dust, road grime, permanent driveway stains, decreased braking capacity and even tire rubber degradation.

Complete crap.

Get a hard bristle brush and some dish or car soap and when you wash your car from here on out, just give the sidewalls a good brush with soapy water and rinse. They'll look great. Not shiny, but nice, black and clean!

EDIT - I bought a hard bristle brush with a handle from Canadian Tire years ago that was also concave, specifically for cleaning tire sidewalls.
    Check out the cleaning products at griotsgarage.com
    They are not the cheapest place but everything is of excellent quality and good customer service. I don't get anything for promoting their stuff, I just use it and am very happy with it. Whatever you use NEVER use anything on the actual tread surface of the tires, only the sidewalls.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

a brush and dish soap, as dave mentioned.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Marcel once the oils have been cleaned off your tires and if they appear brown I was going to mention try Westley’s Bleche White spray product but since reviewing some videos it seems Bleche White is too strong and may eventually ruin the clear powder coat on the DeLorean rims. I use it on my DeLorean tires but I’m thinking about switching to something less harmful to my health like using Simple Green full strength and a really good scrub brush with short bristles.
    The Bleche White works almost too well and is important to keep away from your eyes, skin and lungs since it smells just like pure Bleach. No wonder my tires look like new fresh rubber after using Bleche White.
    Other products I have noticed mentioned on car forum sites for cleaning tires are Amazing Roll Off and ZEP Fast 505 Industrial Cleaner.
    Meguiars’ All Purpose Cleaner. Item #: MEG D10101. $14.99 a gallon. Web site says it cannot be shipped via air and has to be ground shipped.
    http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...urpose-cleaner
    I notice you are in Fort St. John, British Columbia. To save on time and money you may be stuck with buying whatever tire cleaner is sold at your local auto parts store.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    The tires on my car have developed a slimy coating on them, probably due to the quick tire shine crap that I use at car shows. What can I do to remove it and not create a build up again. The only thing that someone suggested to me was Spray 9. What will make the tires look clean and not greasy?
    I just put over $3,000 worth of tires on my motorhome and want to make sure I'm not doing that again for a long time. I checked with Michelin and the only tire dressing they recognize and will cover with their warranty against cracking is Aerospace 303 protectant. It's the best product for offering protection from ultra violet and it's petroleum free. Most marine stores carry because of the exposure boats have to sun light.

Bruce Benson

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by delornut View Post
    I just put over $3,000 worth of tires on my motorhome and want to make sure I'm not doing that again for a long time. I checked with Michelin and the only tire dressing they recognize and will cover with their warranty against cracking is Aerospace 303 protectant. It's the best product for offering protection from ultra violet and it's petroleum free. Most marine stores carry because of the exposure boats have to sun light.

Bruce Benson
    What I have seen done with trailers and motorhomes is, when not being used, they have tire covers they put over the tires to cover them and protect them from sunlight.
    David Teitelbaum