FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank

My VIN:    Early

There is nothing wrong with the filler, but how do you remove the vent in the tank for inspection?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

It can't be stuck or he would not be able to insert the nozzle!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    There's a trap door in the gas filler, are you sure it's moving freely and not stuck?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    ....how do you remove the vent in the tank for inspection?
    LINK: http://store.delorean.com/c-275-2-4-0-evaporative-control-systems.aspx

Open the access panels in the trunk to get to the plumbing around the filler and the top of the tank. All the pieces of it are shown in schematic linked above.

Am not sure that the vent from the tank is the culprit in this case but it seems something in the fuel tank circuit isn't right.

You might start with a peek at #49 in the schematic, Pipe-Gas Filler. Be sure it isn't blocked or kinked, restricting filling rate.

This is the connection from the filler to the tank, not the filler which you say is OK.
    Last edited by Rich; 06-07-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    Early

I removed my vent and found some corrosion blocking the holes. To fix this, I drilled the holes and made them slightly larger to remedy any problems. Thanks for all of the replies.

AFTER DRILLING:
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That copper tube is for static disspation. If the small holes you drilled were plugged, that would be a huge contributor to the problem.

I've seen one car where the trap door assembly (aka the restrictor) broke loose from the filler neck and fell down the filler hose. It lodged about halfway down the hose, never made it all the way into the tank. That car would take all day to fill as you had to trickle the gas past that hunk of metal. The hint at the problem was looking down the filler neck the restrictor plate just wasn't there, and it didn't take much imagination after that to figure out where it went.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

81dmc did this fix your problem in the end?

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That copper tube is for static disspation. If the small holes you drilled were plugged, that would be a huge contributor to the problem.

I've seen one car where the trap door assembly (aka the restrictor) broke loose from the filler neck and fell down the filler hose. It lodged about halfway down the hose, never made it all the way into the tank. That car would take all day to fill as you had to trickle the gas past that hunk of metal. The hint at the problem was looking down the filler neck the restrictor plate just wasn't there, and it didn't take much imagination after that to figure out where it went.
    Whats the part number for this thing? I am having the same issue but cant seem to find it on the car to inspect or nor in any diagram
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Whats the part number for this thing? I am having the same issue but cant seem to find it on the car to inspect or nor in any diagram
    The restrictor is part of the filler neck. 101394
    The static tube is 106683

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The restrictor is part of the filler neck. 101394
    The static tube is 106683

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you, my car does the same thing now. At fill up it overflows out the top. I had the entire fuel system redone and the fuel pump replaced with the newest version in 2015. Ill have to get into the car and check that part out to see if its blocked thank you
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Thank you, my car does the same thing now. At fill up it overflows out the top. I had the entire fuel system redone and the fuel pump replaced with the newest version in 2015. Ill have to get into the car and check that part out to see if its blocked thank you
    Mine does too. I use the trick mentioned earlier in this thread. I go full blast with the gas hose until I’m within a gallon or so of full, then I back off and squeeze the handle maybe half way. The automatic shut off kicks in before it overflows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast