FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Oil dipstick tube question

Oil dipstick tube question

Hello guys,

I have just a quick question: is necessary (or advisable) to put a little bit of sealant when reinstalling the oil dipstick tube on the lower crankcase? or is it just pressed down?

Many thanks
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

I would recommend high temp Silicone or Hylomar to be safe.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    Hello guys,

I have just a quick question: is necessary (or advisable) to put a little bit of sealant when reinstalling the oil dipstick tube on the lower crankcase? or is it just pressed down?

Many thanks

My VIN:    3937

Out of curiosity, is there no seal at the bottom of the dipstick tube for oil like there is for ATF? Like an o-ring or two? Or an otterstat seal if you can get it to fit? The parts diagram only shows the seal for the dipstick of what looks like the one that goes at the top, right under the pull hoop on the dipstick itself (not mounted on the tube that is but the stick).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

There never was an actual tube seal at the bottom. The102111 seal in the book would have been a great idea had DMC not used a vulcanised seal formed into the dipstick itself rendering the extra seal obsolete, redundant and otherwise unusable. This did not stop DMC from selling a boatload of these useless seals to thier dealer base. Also included were tons of the dreaded Bougicord red wiresets that would start arcing at the first hint of humidity when they were brand new. Such is life in the Delorean world.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there no seal at the bottom of the dipstick tube for oil like there is for ATF? Like an o-ring or two? Or an otterstat seal if you can get it to fit? The parts diagram only shows the seal for the dipstick of what looks like the one that goes at the top, right under the pull hoop on the dipstick itself (not mounted on the tube that is but the stick).

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I would recommend high temp Silicone or Hylomar to be safe.
    Rob
    Thanks Rob, as I told you at the Belfast workers meeting it's always a pleasure to read your contributions to this forum
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Thank you so much but as we all know not everyone agrees as this is the internet after all! People are generally much nicer and less confrontational in face to face situations.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    Thanks Rob, as I told you at the Belfast workers meeting it's always a pleasure to read your contributions to this forum