FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hoses

Hoses

Can I go to my local parts store for a driver side water pump hose? Is there a cross reference number(Gates?) or another car part I can use? The long hose,from water pump to metal tube.$25.00 plus shipping from Houston seems a little high,plus the last one I got from them was super long,a lot of un-needed hose. Thanks.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

You can certainly get a hose, but form fitted? No.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Also FYI - I got a length of hose from Napa at one point to do some cooling system maintenance. The cost was absolutely outrageous - $35 for 3 ft IIRC. Our vendor prices are often quite reasonable.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Our vendor prices are often quite reasonable.
    +1

I got a set of replacement wipers for my Pontiac G8 and Generous Motors charged me $93 for the pair. Replacement wipers for the DeLorean are 10 bucks.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    +1

I got a set of replacement wipers for my Pontiac G8 and Generous Motors charged me $93 for the pair. Replacement wipers for the DeLorean are 10 bucks.
    Even if you do get the hose from a Delorean vender they are not all the same. Be sure when you install it, it is far away from the "Vee" belt. If you get the wrong one or you don't install it right the underside will get cut by the belt and you won't see it until it is too late. Bend the support so it holds the hose away from the belt. Good luck finding a cross-over that fits. If you are replacing a hose you should do them all unless they were recently done. If the shipping is bothering you order some other things like bulbs (the tiny ones for the headlight and hazard switch) air and oil filters, struts, door seals, etc.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

New set of Silicone hoses identical to NOS available soon.

To my knowledge Gates, Dayco, and any other OEM supplier has phased out all the preformed hoses that fit either side of the water pump. They were never intended for the Delorean application anyway but rather mundane minivan engines and other fluff nobody drives anymore. I know I must have offended a "soccermom" or two there but aren't they mostly driving SUV's nowadays?

I think the only sources are the vendors. I just recieved my first set of prototype silicone hoses from my new supplier (Special tooling and all).
    I had an NOS set saved all these years and just used them to make the most exact duplicate of the NOS hoses you will find anywhere. Generally silicone hoses can last a lifetime if properly installed and aren't damaged by something first. Sorry but no colors at this time as I'm on the fence about the appropriateness. I think "Grady green" might look smart on my ride but I don't want to get too controversial with the colors or my car will keep getting slammed as an "abomination" on Facebook . No seriously!

I should have stock in about a month. I haven't figured an exact cost yet due to unknown shipping costs. I'm also considering the best clamp supplier and havn't decided on them yet. They will be the best fitting silicone hose set you can find whatever the price and will be in line with or possibly lower than the other sources I know of. Frankly I'm excited about my new hose kit and I mean this in the cleanest possible, internet friendly, low carbon footprint, no pun intended kind of way. Ok who have I offended now?
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Even if you do get the hose from a Delorean vender they are not all the same. Be sure when you install it, it is far away from the "Vee" belt. If you get the wrong one or you don't install it right the underside will get cut by the belt and you won't see it until it is too late. Bend the support so it holds the hose away from the belt. Good luck finding a cross-over that fits. If you are replacing a hose you should do them all unless they were recently done. If the shipping is bothering you order some other things like bulbs (the tiny ones for the headlight and hazard switch) air and oil filters, struts, door seals, etc.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The hoses now sold by the DMCH dealers are a Gates hose made to the original spec and size for this application. These were phased in about 1-2 years ago as the cross-references went away.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    6125

I've got one of the new hoses of which Dave speaks and it is indeed identical to my original hose.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Possibly not so convenient for USA customers, but don't forget Ed Uding offers a full set of hoses for the DeLorean in silicone.

http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/produ...ucts_id=156001

I'm not a huge fan of the DMC logo which is on all of the bits, but still a very good quality kit made specially for the DeLorean.

Ed's quite quiet on this forum, but he always seems to be busy creating some excellent products for our cars.

J

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    To my knowledge Gates, Dayco, and any other OEM supplier has phased out all the preformed hoses that fit either side of the water pump. They were never intended for the Delorean application anyway but rather mundane minivan engines and other fluff nobody drives anymore. I know I must have offended a "soccermom" or two there but aren't they mostly driving SUV's nowadays?

I think the only sources are the vendors. I just recieved my first set of prototype silicone hoses from my new supplier (Special tooling and all).
    I had an NOS set saved all these years and just used them to make the most exact duplicate of the NOS hoses you will find anywhere. Generally silicone hoses can last a lifetime if properly installed and aren't damaged by something first. Sorry but no colors at this time as I'm on the fence about the appropriateness. I think "Grady green" might look smart on my ride but I don't want to get too controversial with the colors or my car will keep getting slammed as an "abomination" on Facebook . No seriously!

I should have stock in about a month. I haven't figured an exact cost yet due to unknown shipping costs. I'm also considering the best clamp supplier and havn't decided on them yet. They will be the best fitting silicone hose set you can find whatever the price and will be in line with or possibly lower than the other sources I know of. Frankly I'm excited about my new hose kit and I mean this in the cleanest possible, internet friendly, low carbon footprint, no pun intended kind of way. Ok who have I offended now?
    Rob
    A couple things here caught my eye:

1) a couple posts referenced the hoses being installed "correctly". Is there a specific technique to installing silicone hoses? I replaced mine about two years ago and haven't had any issues with them other than the occasional 'packing' issue and having to go back in and re-tighten a clamp or two. Maybe even off the back of the water pump under the manifold. Ugh.

and

2) I did see a nick on the driver's side hose like something did hit it. David T talked about the belt hitting it. Did I not install that right? How do you prevent that? It's not deep but deep enough to notice and see if I need to redo something.

Thanks....

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast