FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Stuck Tight Fuel Filter

My VIN:    17106

Club(s):   (DOA) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Stuck Tight Fuel Filter

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to change my fuel filter, I did it a number of years ago, and I think I overtightened the banjo bolt at the top because I can't get that nut to crack.

Any tips? There's not much room to work fro the bottom? What if I cut the filter canister in 1/2 so I can get to the bolt easier? Or channel locks on the canister?

Just looking for suggestions.

Also any tips on how to get the hard line out of the angle fitting? the nut comes of easy but to pull the conical fitting from the elbow is nigh impossible.

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by StainlessSteelDream; 06-08-2015 at 10:25 AM.

My VIN:    03572

Both the filter and accumulator, I remove the mounting bolts so I can get a crows foot and impact wrench onto frozen parts.

But if you don't have an impact, you need to leave it mounted so you can use a wrench. Maybe a pry bar on the wrench if you can fit something to do that.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Removing the C.V. shaft would give you more leverage.As for the bottom fitting reinstall the nut loosely and use a small brass hammer to give the elbow fitting some sharp wacks....sometimes many are necessary
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelDream View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to change my fuel filter, I did it a number of years ago, and I think I overtightened the banjo bolt at the top because I can't get that nut to crack.

Any tips? There's not much room to work fro the bottom? What if I cut the filter canister in 1/2 so I can get to the bolt easier? Or channel locks on the canister?

Just looking for suggestions.

Also any tips on how to get the hard line out of the angle fitting? the nut comes of easy but to pull the conical fitting from the elbow is nigh impossible.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks guys

Wondering if it might be easier to undo the fuel line @ the distributor and pulling it out with the filter, but might be harder to reroute it back on reinstall.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Thanks guys

Wondering if it might be easier to undo the fuel line @ the distributor and pulling it out with the filter, but might be harder to reroute it back on reinstall.
    That works. Yes, it's trickier.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That works. Yes, it's trickier.
    Just FYI, I ended up doing a "hybrid" of this, I cut the fuel line a couple of inches from the fuel filter banjo fitting. I was then able to get the filter out and with a workbench vice, a wrench & hammer, got the banjo bolt loose. After that I used brass barbed line splice to connect the fuel line from the engine to a short length of fuel injection hose attached to the banjo fitting (with fuel injection clamps) should be easier to remove next time, just hope the I was able to seat the splice far enough into the old teflon hose to stay put.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

just hope the I was able to seat the splice far enough into the old teflon hose to stay put.
    Yeah- because if it doesn't you'll spray 60PSI gasoline all over the exhaust system. I don't like splices in that hose.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

You should consider replacing the hose as it will be a major fire hazard if it fails. It's not worth the risk to the car and your safety to save a few bucks.
    Rob

Just FYI, I ended up doing a "hybrid" of this, I cut the fuel line a couple of inches from the fuel filter banjo fitting. I was then able to get the filter out and with a workbench vice, a wrench & hammer, got the banjo bolt loose. After that I used brass barbed line splice to connect the fuel line from the engine to a short length of fuel injection hose attached to the banjo fitting (with fuel injection clamps) should be easier to remove next time, just hope the I was able to seat the splice far enough into the old teflon hose to stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    You should consider replacing the hose as it will be a major fire hazard if it fails. It's not worth the risk to the car and your safety to save a few bucks.
    Rob
    Thanks. I clamped it good with fuel injection clamps. But it's on my radar to replace soon; just needed to test out the new fuel pump and be able to move the D off my lift.