FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Strange headlight behaviour

My VIN:    7075

Strange headlight behaviour

Last week I noticed, that my headlight is not working well. This means, that when I switch it on, only the one on the left side is working, but the one on the right side doesn't.
    At first I thought, that I have to change the light, but then I switched on the high beam, and then all four lights started to work. So it seems, that the bulb is ok, just some strange electrical error do not let it work well. What can be the problem? Light switch or something else? Everything is stock.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    Last week I noticed, that my headlight is not working well. This means, that when I switch it on, only the one on the left side is working, but the one on the right side doesn't.
    At first I thought, that I have to change the light, but then I switched on the high beam, and then all four lights started to work. So it seems, that the bulb is ok, just some strange electrical error do not let it work well. What can be the problem? Light switch or something else? Everything is stock.
    Bad bulb. There are two filaments. The high beam filament is probably good, but the low beam is dead. Replace the sealed beam.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Bad bulb. There are two filaments. The high beam filament is probably good, but the low beam is dead. Replace the sealed beam.
    If it's an H4 conversion, just replace the bulb. You'll know which it is once you remove the headlight.

Do you have a fiberglass front fascia or the OEM one? I've heard fiberglass variants need to be removed entirely to access the headlights due to lack of "give", while the OEM one can be bent out of the way per screw. Careful removing the headlight screws though, they're VERY short.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    If it's an H4 conversion, just replace the bulb. You'll know which it is once you remove the headlight.

Do you have a fiberglass front fascia or the OEM one? I've heard fiberglass variants need to be removed entirely to access the headlights due to lack of "give", while the OEM one can be bent out of the way per screw. Careful removing the headlight screws though, they're VERY short.
    He said it was stock. To confirm you can switch the bulbs left-to-right. The low filiment is burnt on the right side bulb.
    David Teitelbaum

Everything is OEM. I hoped, that I didn't have to replace the lamp, but it seems, that I have to. Now I go and check, if I can remove the lamp.
    Do I know well, that the lamp and the bulb is one? So I can't just change the bulb, but I have to change the whole structure?

Everything is OEM. I hoped, that I didn't have to replace the lamp, but it seems, that I have to. Now I go and check, if I can remove the lamp.
    Do I know well, that the lamp and the bulb is one? So I can't just change the bulb, but I have to change the whole structure?
    That is correct, OEM setups have the bulb and housing in one unit. I know they're cheap enough here in the states, but I don't know about Hungary.

Service manual has a section on headlight removal if I recall correctly.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

...So I can't just change the bulb, but I have to change the whole structure?
    Yes, welcome to US headlight standards from the 1940s to the 1980s. They are called "sealed beam" headlamps and the internal bulb is sealed into the unit. The idea was that you got a new reflector every time you changed the bulb, and moisture could not get inside. Law was changed in the early 80s.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

That is correct, OEM setups have the bulb and housing in one unit. I know they're cheap enough here in the states, but I don't know about Hungary.

Service manual has a section on headlight removal if I recall correctly.
    In Hungary you can not buy it, but Ed from Holland can send me anything. It is 60 euro, which is a bit expensive, compared to a bulb, but if it survives 10 years, than it worths it.

Change to H4 if I remember correctly they are brighter, too.
    for ~60 Euros you get both both main lights and don't need to worry to get selaed beam in the future.

Or ask some of the german guys they may give you the old sealed beams for free.

but watch out with the H4 - even if the connetor looks identical - you need to swap the pins.
    no problem to do, just don't forget it.

At last I changed the headlights and now everything is fine. The test in dark is not made yet, I am waiting for it to see the difference.

Thanks for the help for everyone!