FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Building the Gold Cars + Proto-1 Picture

Dork with a Camcorder

My VIN:    [Maybe one day there'll be something here...]

Building the Gold Cars + Proto-1 Picture

Hey DMCTalk! I've posted a couple of times before, but for those who don't know me, I'm a 17yo DeLorean enthusiast from the UK who also happens to do freelance tech support. I recently did a PC repair for a friend of a friend of my mother, a Mr MacKenzie, who was a production engineer at DMCL during the original run. He worked closely with JZD himself and was involved with the construction of the gold cars, as one of the so-called "Goldfingers". After the computer work was finished, we got to talking and he showed me his photo album from the time, with dozens of (I believe) unique shots of the gold cars being built, as well as an original shipment order and a poem typewritten by his secretary about the "Goldfingers". Not only this, but he also gifted me an extraordinary relic - a framed photo set of Proto-1, which hung in his office at Dunmurry. It now takes pride of place in my room.

He also gave me permission to take photographs of his album (sorry for the potato quality, my iPhone was all I had), which I have put in some Imgur albums for you, along with a photo of the Proto-1 picture and a little DMC tie clip (I think) that he also gave me.

I hope the DeLorean community likes these pieces of history. I'm hoping to meet up with Mr Mackenzie again at some stage, and if the community has any questions I'll try and ask them, though I can't make any guarantees.

Imgur:
    http://imgur.com/a/gsMyW
    http://imgur.com/a/44RHJ
    http://imgur.com/a/CGrUV
    The thing which I think is a tie clip:
    http://i.imgur.com/Wv8t6mN.jpg
    17 year old DeLorean lover dreaming of the dream...

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Very Cool. Thanks for posting.

Cool

Very cool find!!!

Dork with a Camcorder

Thanks guys! There were a number of other pictures I didn't photograph as well, mainly of cars on the test track. If there's enough interest, I can probably grab snaps of those too.

My VIN:    3849 (former 4117)

Very cool...thanks for sharing!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures of both the gold cars

I wonder if Chris Parnham has seen these?

Yes, that is a tie pin. It looks gold - I wonder was it given out to the Goldfingers as a special momento
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Dork with a Camcorder

Unfortunately, the pin isn't gold, that's a trick of the light. It's SS, with very subtle grain on the front of the DMC letters. I didn't ask whether it was a special award or something all senior employees got.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_YT View Post
    Thanks guys! There were a number of other pictures I didn't photograph as well, mainly of cars on the test track. If there's enough interest, I can probably grab snaps of those too.
    Any photos of DeLoreans on the Test Track (especially in the early days) would be great to see.

A majority of photos of DeLoreans on the Test Track have been the later cars (not the early cars).

If there are photos of DeLoreans with dark wheels and gas flap hoods on the Test Track ... even better.

In either case, I would say there is plenty of interest in seeing more photos of Test Track photos. Thanks.

My VIN:    6125

The photos are awesome, thanks so much for sharing! I'm sure everyone would love to see any others Mr. MacKenzie may have. Please pass along the invitation to join the forum too if he is interested in sharing any personal history or stories about his time with DMCL. I am forever fascinated to hear the first hand experiences of the people who actually made these cars a reality.
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-09-2015 at 11:00 PM.