FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas Monkey Delorean

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I wonder if this is the first sign that things are peaking in terms of the car's exposure this year?
    No, this is a sign that there are cars so far gone even a professional can't bring it back from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Galt View Post
    No, this is a sign that there are cars so far gone even a professional can't bring it back from the dead.
    ...or it is a sign that a professional can't restore a car and make any money doing it.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

It's rough, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. We've seen a hell of a lot worse sold recently. Biggest issue would appear to be getting the roof box fixed.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    It's rough, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. We've seen a hell of a lot worse sold recently. Biggest issue would appear to be getting the roof box fixed.
    …and doing the entire interior, the entire engine and engine compartment, the entire fuel system, the hydraulic clutch stem to stern, the AC system, dealing with the rusted frame, 3/4 of the body panels, the tires, headliner, that front bumper is gone, the engine cover is trashed, the brakes have to be bad too, right? - and while I haven't pushed on the fender personally I'm gonna guess based on the rusted springs the suspension is cooked.

That's probably 30K-40K+ worth of parts, shipping and outsourced labor alone (stripping/powder coating etc) depending on how lucky you get - plus the year or more of labor involved. You'd probably have a 60-70K car by the time you were done fighting that mess.

That said - if Gas Monkey could underwrite that resto as a production cost and get Velocity to eat it they may be just about the only garage capable of justifying that job. Otherwise they should do the honorable thing and dig a hole and bury it.

My VIN:    3028

…and doing the entire interior, the entire engine and engine compartment, the entire fuel system, the hydraulic clutch stem to stern, the AC system, dealing with the rusted frame, 3/4 of the body panels, the tires, headliner, that front bumper is gone, the engine cover is trashed, the brakes have to be bad too, right? - and while I haven't pushed on the fender personally I'm gonna guess based on the rusted springs the suspension is cooked.

That's probably 30K-40K+ worth of parts, shipping and outsourced labor alone (stripping/powder coating etc) depending on how lucky you get - plus the year or more of labor involved. You'd probably have a 60-70K car by the time you were done fighting that mess.

That said - if Gas Monkey could underwrite that resto as a production cost and get Velocity to eat it they may be just about the only garage capable of justifying that job. Otherwise they should do the honorable thing and dig a hole and bury it.
    You do realize you are on a DeLorean forum where we actually like these cars right? Also with any classic you are not usually in it for the money, there is no logic to spending vs the value.
    Barry

My VIN:    07000

I was watching the show last night where Richard had bought an orange Pantera for $17,000. One of his guys went through it and it was a mess - not unrestorable as I've seen completely gutted and rusted VW busses come back to showroom new - and he decided to sell it as he bought it vs. really working on it. I think there's a point where they decide it's more work than it's worth when it's on their dime.
    Meanwhile they had to mod out a 1956 Chevy Nomad for Dale Earnhardt Jr. with a budget of $75k and 10 days to do it.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

So the moral of the story , then, is that they aren't very good at buying classic cars
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

No, this is a sign that there are cars so far gone even a "Gas Monkey" can't bring it back from the dead.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

If I was Mr. Wynn or Mr. Espey I'm beat feet down to Gas Monkey Garage and work a deal.

They could buy the car and tell the story about DMC Houston. Show a couple of minutes of the restoration process and have the car ready for BTTF Day October 21, 2015. Maybe raffle off the car for Parkinson's research.

I think that a Fast N' Loud DeLorean episode would draw some people to watch the show.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I think that a Fast N' Loud DeLorean episode would draw some people to watch the show.
    I think adding a DeLorean to just about anything on TV will get more people to watch it.

(Dancing with the Stars, American Dad, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, used car dealership commercials, Old Spice commercials, news reports on driving to your NBA practice gym, etc., etc.)

Instant celebrity... just add DeLorean.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast