FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: At what point is a DeLorean no longer a DeLorean?

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I would say it's a delorean as long as people see it and ask if it has a flux capacitor though.
    That was going to be my answer. If the public at large makes BTTF comments about it, it's (recognizable as) a DeLorean.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Everyone knows that any car built after 1982 is not a "real" Delorean.
    Well I have an 83 and it has the same shitty parts as the 81.
    So I guess I have a Delorean.

Steve

I think this is a really interesting question. I've always thoughts about it when watching Barrett Jackson auctions (or the like) when they sell a "1 of 4" type restored ferrari (bentley, etc.) for millions of dollars that has been completely, and totally restored/rebuilt... every nut, bolt, panel, interior, etc. At what point is the original car gone, and it simply becomes a re-creation of the original? To me, polishing an old VIN tag and mounting said tag on a car that is 95% or more new (and often hand-built), doesn't mean it is the same car anymore. To put it another way, if you build two cars side-by-side, and then add an original VIN to one, and not the other, why is one car "rare" and worth a lot of money, while the other isn't?

Having said all this, I generally prefer modded cars (though I can respect completely original cars).

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post

I would say it's a delorean as long as people see it and ask if it has a flux capacitor though.
    Interestingly, the latest common BTTF reference question I get is "Where's MISTER FUSION?" Like THAT'S what makes time travel even possible.

Amateurs.

My VIN:    10201

I do prefer questions about the paint over bttf. I'd rather defend my painted car than answer bttf questions.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Interestingly, the latest common BTTF reference question I get is "Where's MISTER FUSION?" Like THAT'S what makes time travel even possible.

Amateurs.
    The thing I've noticed on social media is when a DeLorean is photographed, (From the outside and usually from behind), the comments tend to be, "Where's the Flux Capacitor?" (As if it can be seen from the outside).
    Mr. Fusion though can, if it's there...
    I agree. Mr. Fusion is just the Catalyst(?) for the FC.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    3937

Again, putting aside the Will.I.Am car for a minute, are there any DeLoreans you know of that someone seeing it cruise by wouldn't say "hey, look a DeLorean/the car from BTTF!"? You can paint 'em, put different rims on 'em, time machine convert them, or drop a different engine in them. They still get the "holy sh!t, a DeLorean!"

What happens when you have a '69 Dodge Charger that isn't painted that particular orange, doesn't have a Confederation flag on the hood and a big 01 number on the doors?

What happens when you see a 1959 Cadillac Ambulance Limo that doesn't have a picture of a ghost on the door with gadgets and gizmos and lights on the roof?

And what happens when you see a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am that's not painted black, doesn't have a half steering wheel and other cool instrument cluster things, and doesn't talk or chase bad guys?

...Cars that nobody notices.

(ok, granted you're not going to see too many 1959 Cadillac Ambulance Limos around whether they're converted to Ecto-1s or not.)

What happens when you see a DeLorean... of any description?

"Holy sh!t, it's a DeLorean!"

...I think a DeLorean is always going to be a DeLorean... or at least recognized as a DeLorean.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4519

^ Thatsa helluva good post, mister!

My VIN:    1019

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That was going to be my answer. If the public at large makes BTTF comments about it, it's (recognizable as) a DeLorean.
    When I'm at a car show, some of them have registration cards that have special features, I write, (Do not ask about the Flux Capacitor.)

Recognition of being a DeLorean? Case in point: I look at the Will.I.Am car and instantly recognize it as a modernized (and to many also bastardized) DeLorean. BTTF conversions? Still DeLoreans. That Proto version that's been heavily modified? Still a DeLorean, although some might not recognize it at all. Any of Rich W's mods? Still DeLoreans. Guy with a silver Bricklin? Swing and a miss.

Or one could take an even simpler approach: what's it titled as? What does the VIN trace back to? How does your local government and/or DMV view it? If they say it's a Delorean, it's a DeLorean. If they say it's not, it's not. Simple.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast