FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: At what point is a DeLorean no longer a DeLorean?

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Again, putting aside the Will.I.Am car for a minute, are there any DeLoreans you know of that someone seeing it cruise by wouldn't say "hey, look a DeLorean/the car from BTTF!"? You can paint 'em, put different rims on 'em, time machine convert them, or drop a different engine in them. They still get the "holy sh!t, a DeLorean!"

What happens when you have a '69 Dodge Charger that isn't painted that particular orange, doesn't have a Confederation flag on the hood and a big 01 number on the doors?

What happens when you see a 1959 Cadillac Ambulance Limo that doesn't have a picture of a ghost on the door with gadgets and gizmos and lights on the roof?

And what happens when you see a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am that's not painted black, doesn't have a half steering wheel and other cool instrument cluster things, and doesn't talk or chase bad guys?

...Cars that nobody notices.

(ok, granted you're not going to see too many 1959 Cadillac Ambulance Limos around whether they're converted to Ecto-1s or not.)

What happens when you see a DeLorean... of any description?

"Holy sh!t, it's a DeLorean!"

...I think a DeLorean is always going to be a DeLorean... or at least recognized as a DeLorean.
    That's not always true, what you're saying there ; if you are into cars (or even just 'like' cars) then people are gonna recognize it as 'a Delorean'. But I've had people who called mine a Lamborghini, a Renault Alpine, a Renault Fuego, a Porsche, even a kitcar was mentioned one time ... and always people who aren't into cars. Usually friendly people who don't know otherwise, because they have nothing with cars. So wether you would show them a Dodge Charger, een Cadillac hearse, a Pontiac Firebird or a DeLorean, they won't see 'it'! So this works only it you are a 'car buff', like me ...

PS. I once had a girlfriend who didn't know what car she was driving herself, so when I mentioned I had a DeLorean at one point, she looked at me like I came out of space ... :-)

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

PS. I once had a girlfriend who didn't know what car she was driving herself, so when I mentioned I had a DeLorean at one point, she looked at me like I came out of space ... :-)
    Haha!! And when she saw it, "it looked like an airplane, without wings".
    Last edited by SIMid; 06-23-2015 at 09:52 PM.

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    Haha!! And when she saw it, "it looked like an airplane, without wings".
    Actually, she couldn't care less what I was driving .... She once went with me to a local carshow and she was bored to death, nagging me to go home after viewing 3 cars ...

For the record, I'm happely married now to a woman who can appreciate my hobbies, she even has a classic car herself ... :-)

My VIN:    07000

When is a DeLorean no longer a DeLorean?

When it turns into a driveway.

Badump, crash!

Mic dropped.

My VIN:    4534

I don't think WillIAm's car is a DeLorean anymore. Too much has changed. However, I haven't seen any other DeLorean changed that drastically. Wait, one other, the Hardcastle and Mccormick Coyote.

If the stainless is gone (painted doesn't count as gone) then the car isn't a DeLorean anymore. At least to me.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I don't think WillIAm's car is a DeLorean anymore. Too much has changed. However, I haven't seen any other DeLorean changed that drastically. Wait, one other, the Hardcastle and Mccormick Coyote.

If the stainless is gone (painted doesn't count as gone) then the car isn't a DeLorean anymore. At least to me.
    Does the Coyote run on a DeLorean chassis? I always thought it was a lengthened VW pan.

edit: Just looked it up. Well well. Learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Timebender; 06-25-2015 at 12:28 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Does the Coyote run on a DeLorean chassis? I always thought it was a lengthened VW pan.

edit: Just looked it up. Well well. Learn something new every day.
    This is a very philosophical argument and it all depends on definitions. One example is about George Washington's famous hatchet. It's the second head and the third handle but it is still? the original hatchet????? There was a case of where someone found an old motor and built the car around it and had it vinned and Titled with the motor's serial # Another person found the original car and used it's vin and serial # (which happened to be the same as the motor's number) and found a motor to put in it. Which is the original car and who is to say? If anyone has seen Curtis's car at one of the DCS shows is it still a Delorean? How about D Rex or the hovercraft or the limo or the one with 2 motors?
    David Teitelbaum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4