FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DPI SPEC I Exhaust Install - 5875

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

2nd last step was to attach the cat pipes. We used some white grease on the pipe and muffler ends to make it easier to slide into place since it’s a tight compression fitting. We had to try it a few times to get the right angle to line up with the headers. We slid in the copper crush gaskets on either end of the header to cat pipe joints and bolted them into place.

IMG_2139.jpg
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

Last up - putting the nice polished tips on the lower muffler pipes. Again these are compression fittings, so really easy to install. I decided to angle them upwards towards the facia ever so slightly so that the tips would have a uniform gap all the way around the facia holes.

IMG_2140.jpgIMG_2141.jpgIMG_2142.jpg

We lowered the car, and rolled it out of the garage for starting. It fired up nicely after being up on jacks for about 3-4 weeks. Checked all those wires on the pass side and everything looked great - no burnt wires! We wanted the job done yesterday, so after working on it for 5 hours straight, it was midnight by the time it rolled out of the garage. Needless to say I couldn’t test out the full range of sound with my neighbours asleep. It was cool though as the white smoke coming from the first start made it look like a scene from Back to the Future! We took it out for a spin and it sounds amazing

IMG_2144.JPGIMG_2145.JPG

Overall, I would highly recommend the SPEC I system from DPI. It’s a nicely engineered system that was relatively easy to install. The sound of is it amazing when compared to what I had before – it’s night and day. It feels like I’m driving a total different car.

I did notice much better performance as well. Both in pick-up and back-pressure. I think because my previous system didn’t have a cat or muffler, acceleration would fluctuate sometimes (give out) because there wasn’t any back pressure on the system. I noticed right off the bat that issue is gone.

Super stoked!
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    6125

Nice job on the install, it looks like you were able to get the pipes really well adjusted with nice even gaps around the facia cutouts. All the little details like that really make a difference.

Thanks Mark. It really is a labour of love!
    Eric

www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    5312

That looks amazing! Nice job!

My VIN:    16409

Glad the little clips worked for the Oxygen sensor. I noticed you used Allen Head bolts on your CV Axles. That's a nice touch, I want to do that on my car too. McMaster Carr has them in stainless and plated versions. Where did you get yours? Also nice touch with the Right-Angle terminal on the oil pressure sender.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    That looks amazing! Nice job!
    Thanks! Very happy with it.
    Eric

www.YOMplates.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Glad the little clips worked for the Oxygen sensor. I noticed you used Allen Head bolts on your CV Axles. That's a nice touch, I want to do that on my car too. McMaster Carr has them in stainless and plated versions. Where did you get yours? Also nice touch with the Right-Angle terminal on the oil pressure sender.
    The clips worked perfectly - thanks for the suggestion. The Allen bolts on my CV joints are courtesy of DPI. The PO brought it down to Ohio from Canada a couple years ago to have the axles completely rebuilt as well as the rear main seal. When I removed the old oil sender last year and replaced it with the late 70s Corvette cross over sender, the right angle terminal helped since the wire was short and the new sender sticks out quite a bit more from the block. I've been meaning to put a shrink wrap on the wire for more protection.
    Eric

www.YOMplates.ca

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Back when we were running "three shifts"

O wait nothing has changed!

I will never forget that night on this car!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Back when we were running "three shifts"

O wait nothing has changed!

I will never forget that night on this car!
    Yeah the PO said you really went out of your way to make it happen in an evening so he could drive it back to Canada pretty well next day. Then you helped him near the border when the car overheated by fluke chance. Pretty awesome service if you ask me! I'm sure my car will be down to Ohio in the future for a few more items when I get around to it.
    Eric

www.YOMplates.ca

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3