FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Exhaust System

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

Stainless Steel Exhaust System

Hi guys
    I have a mild steel (Jet coated) Houston exhaust and its rusting on me. I replaced a pipe section on one of the manifolds but I have another blow on the exhaust and am thinking about replacing the full unit rather than repairing again.
    In the past I have seen a few guys selling DMCH exhausts that they replaced with DPI units.
    Anyone got a stainless exhaust for sale please PM me with what you have.
    I am not interested in John Herveys system.
    I would need it shipped to Ireland but would obviously cover the shipping costs.
    Failing that I will probably look at a new UK exhaust.
    Thanks!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Just a warning that even a stainless system has the possibility of rusting. See post #16 & #40. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11233-Headers/page4

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Hi guys
    I have a mild steel (Jet coated) Houston exhaust and its rusting on me. I replaced a pipe section on one of the manifolds but I have another blow on the exhaust and am thinking about replacing the full unit rather than repairing again.
    In the past I have seen a few guys selling DMCH exhausts that they replaced with DPI units.
    Anyone got a stainless exhaust for sale please PM me with what you have.
    I am not interested in John Herveys system.
    I would need it shipped to Ireland but would obviously cover the shipping costs.
    Failing that I will probably look at a new UK exhaust.
    Thanks!
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Just a warning that even a stainless system has the possibility of rusting. See post #16 & #40. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11233-Headers/page4
    Rusting or discoloring? Looking at those two posts, I don't see any mention of rust, just the color. I believe discoloration in particular happens if something isn't set right (car runs rich, lean, etc.), but unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't pose the same kind of structural risk that rust does. Looks similar, but you shouldn't have to worry about any holes in your SS exhaust.

Relatedly, I was under the impression DMCH switched to SS a while back. I know early DPI exhausts used to be mild steel, but I thought DMCH also switched for the same reason. Anyone know whether this is the case?

My VIN:    10722

DMCH exhaust system is stainless steel and does not rust, and may not discolor with the ceramic coating. Time will tell...

Andy

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't think DPI ever did any mild
    steel exhausts. I bought one early on and it is stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    I don't think DPI ever did any mild
    steel exhausts. I bought one early on and it is stainless.
    I might be thinking of DMCH then if that's the case. All these mods, it's hard to keep track of them all!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Post #3 is where I mention the rust at the above link. My UK exhaust is RUST, no doubt about it. You can run your finger across it and you'll have rust on your hands. Luckily, there was only 1 or 2 other people that had the same unfortunate results as me after this long so it does not seem like a common problem. What irritates me is they won't replace it. Discoloration/darkening will happen with any exhaust that gets hot, but they are not supposed to rust!

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Rusting or discoloring? Looking at those two posts, I don't see any mention of rust, just the color. I believe discoloration in particular happens if something isn't set right (car runs rich, lean, etc.), but unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't pose the same kind of structural risk that rust does. Looks similar, but you shouldn't have to worry about any holes in your SS exhaust.

Relatedly, I was under the impression DMCH switched to SS a while back. I know early DPI exhausts used to be mild steel, but I thought DMCH also switched for the same reason. Anyone know whether this is the case?
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

Bump,
    anyone got a stainless exhaust they want rid of?

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

Hi Kenny - there is a guy in Italy selling one: http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4823 - if you do end up needing a UK one, then Alistair may be able to help negotiate the price with Don for you (possibly, only if you're quick) as a bulk order is currently in the process of being made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast