FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low fuel pressure.

My VIN:    5557

Low fuel pressure.

So I'm getting 28 psi from the fuel pump. That's bad right? New fuel pump/sending unit. May be clogged. Shop that put in new one, may not have throughly cleaned tank. Are the new pumps able to be disassembled?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Low fuel pressure.

Where are you measuring this from? Is this while the pump is jumped? Does it hold rest pressure?

I've had shops claim they cleaned tanks and it was pure lies. Other than Dmc vendors, take what a lot of shops out there claim they do with a grain of salt. They don't care about your car, and they will cut corners if they think they can.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

My guess would be they swapped the hoses at the fuel pump. Other possibility is the PPR O-ring has failed but I've not seen a PPR fail that badly.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My guess would be they swapped the hoses at the fuel pump. Other possibility is the PPR O-ring has failed but I've not seen a PPR fail that badly.
    I've seen fuel distributors with no o-rings and the pressure will be higher than that.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I've seen fuel distributors with no o-rings and the pressure will be higher than that.
    The pump can't be taken apart. Actually it can but you can't put it back together so don't take it apart. Low pressure can be because of a plugged input screen or a collapsed pick-up hose. The thing to do is to empty the tank, take all of the parts out, clean everything thoroughly, and reassemble properly replacing any bad parts. If the pick-up hose is soft and kinks easily put a spring in it and/or replace it. I would not jump to conclusions about the PPR just because of low pressure.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by axlealex View Post
    So I'm getting 28 psi from the fuel pump. That's bad right? New fuel pump/sending unit. May be clogged. Shop that put in new one, may not have throughly cleaned tank. Are the new pumps able to be disassembled?
    Yes, the lower baffle can be removed, pump motor pulled out and the inlet filter replaced. Look down into the baffle, if it's full of crud you need to clean it up. And you'll probably need to change the main filter again if they didn't really clean out the tank.

I agree with the above comment - we've done a few cars where the tank was so-called cleaned by someone else. To the average shop cleaning the tank means emptying it out and filling it again. To me it means emptying it, cleanout out everything so that it's perfectly clean and dry, then vacuuming the remaining dust/dirt out. Takes 1-3 hours depending on what you are starting with, and it's done without taking the tank out of the car.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

So I'm getting 28 psi from the fuel pump. That's bad right? New fuel pump/sending unit.
    New pump? Good connections to it?

Low voltage (measured while it runs) or bad ground to pump can cause low fuel pressure.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks for the replys. I tested the pressure at the distributor. Read 28 psi, so then i tested at the pump thinking it might be the filter is plugged. Got the same reading, 28 psi. Fuel pump was converted to new unit, no baffle. So the pickup screen at the pump motor must be clogged? I removed the unit and there was brown gunk underneath it. If I can't take the new unit apart, then I guess a new one is in order? Or can I send it in to be fixed?

Oh forgot. It holds rest pressure.

Thanks for the replys. I tested the pressure at the distributor. Read 28 psi, so then i tested at the pump thinking it might be the filter is plugged. Got the same reading, 28 psi. Fuel pump was converted to new unit, no baffle. So the pickup screen at the pump motor must be clogged? I removed the unit and there was brown gunk underneath it. If I can't take the new unit apart, then I guess a new one is in order? Or can I send it in to be fixed?
    Which "new" pump(?), you don't mention where it came from. Got pictures of the screen?

I've never seen any pump do low pressure like that. Are you sure the gauge is working?
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast