FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant in my engine oil

Coolant in my engine oil

When changing my oil recently I noticed green coolant draining out with my engine oil. I'm not sure how long this has been happening. There is no coolant leaking from underneath the car, and there doesn't appear to be any coolant being burnt during the combustion process. I'm hoping this is only a head gasket problem.

What are other people's experiences with coolant in the oil? And what are the most likely causes?

And then the big question... is my engine pooched? Or is it salvageable?

Thanks in advance.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

One of three things has happened.

Your cylinder liner lower seals are failing
    Head gaskets failing
    Engine block rotted out in valley and water pump leaking at same time.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Coolant in the oil is a big deal. If you keep driving with it you will ruin the motor. You need to find and fix the problem. Was the motor ever overheated? If so you probably just need head gaskets.
    David Teitelbaum

Engine didn't seem to be overheating. And yes, thankfully as soon as I saw the coolant in the oil I immediately stopped driving the car.

Looks like I'll have to start taking apart the engine to find out exactly what's going on. Any decent online walkthroughs out there on engine dis-assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by 121GWATT View Post
    Engine didn't seem to be overheating. And yes, thankfully as soon as I saw the coolant in the oil I immediately stopped driving the car.

Looks like I'll have to start taking apart the engine to find out exactly what's going on. Any decent online walkthroughs out there on engine dis-assembly?

The Workshop Manual is your best reference. When removing the heads you must know what to look for to see evidence of head gasket failure. If you can't see that you may have to assume a liner seal failure and that would mean taking the liners out. Heads can be done with the motor in the car but to do the liners the motor should come out.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 121GWATT View Post
    Based on the good advice so far in this thread you could still hope that somehow it's "only" a failed head gasket and rule that out first. Have a mechanic sniff the coolant tank for signs of combustion gases or buy a test kit for head gasket checking.
    LINK: Combustion-Leak-Detector
    Your "not overheating" note suggests this isn't the problem but it's easy to rule it out sooner than later.

If it's time to tear it down the next-easiest thing to check may be the in the VOD. Pull the intake manifold to see if there's evidence of leaking coolant in the valley - and, if so, any hole in the top of the block that the coolant found into the crankcase from there.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Based on the good advice so far in this thread you could still hope that somehow it's "only" a failed head gasket and rule that out first. Have a mechanic sniff the coolant tank for signs of combustion gases or buy a test kit for head gasket checking.
    LINK: Combustion-Leak-Detector
    Your "not overheating" note suggests this isn't the problem but it's easy to rule it out sooner than later.

If it's time to tear it down the next-easiest thing to check may be the in the VOD. Pull the intake manifold to see if there's evidence of leaking coolant in the valley - and, if so, any hole in the top of the block that the coolant found into the crankcase from there.
    To pull the heads he has to remove the intake manifold so he will see if the top of the block has any problems at that point and if so he doesn't have to pull the heads. One thing that can be done, get the crankcase pan off, pressurize the cooling system and maybe you can see where the leak is. If it is a lower liner seal it should be easy to see.
    David Teitelbaum

Excellent advice, thank you to all so far. Looks like I could be going on quite the repair journey here. Oh the adventures!

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    get the crankcase pan off, pressurize the cooling system and maybe you can see where the leak is. If it is a lower liner seal it should be easy to see.
    +1 agreed with Dave

If it is the liners, don't waste your time on the NOS paper replacement shims. Source out the metal Volvo replacements (part# 1218421) that they now make which supersedes the previous paper ones. Use a light coating of Hylomar Blue sealant on each side and you are set!

2012-08-07 09.16.18.jpg
    -Jeff

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

oil pressure

What would be the cause of High oil pressure? I'm starting to read 100, 110 lbs.
    I do have severe blowby and some low comp. figures [30, 65, 80, 95, 120 and 175. Also
    have BAE turbo. Assume ring lands are shot, going to check oil condition and level after
    it cools down.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast