FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coolant in my engine oil

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    OK, I'm a little late to the party, but here is some advice I found elsewhere, and perhaps it will be useful to the next person who has this kind of engine trouble.

If you get the cylinder at TDC compression stroke and put air in it, there are a couple of things you can do, assuming your valves are properly adjusted. If you have a compression tester, remove the Schrader valve in the bottom of the tube that screws into the spark plug socket. Now you can put shop air into the cylinder. Once you have air flowing into the cylinder, there are three tests that you can do.

1. take the radiator cap off and look for bubbles. Bubbles could indicate a blown head gasket or warped/cracked head.

2. listen for air escaping out the oil dipstick. Air escaping here could indicate leakage past the rings.

3. listen for air escaping out the tail pipe. Air escaping here could indicate a leaky exhaust valve.

Kind of old school diagnostics, but might give you an idea of what to look for. I'm sure there's probably more to it, but that's all I can remember right now.

Remember, I am not a mechanic.
    These procedures you describe are for the use of a "Leakdown tester" which is much better than a compression tester. We use it in the shop to measure the amount of air excaping from the cylinder. More than 15% leakdown indicates a problem. Occasionally the leakdown is bad enough (over 20%) that your three listed steps can help pinpoint the cause of the leakage. A new broken in PVR engine usually has about a 3 or 4% leakdown rate.
    rob

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

good ideas

Thanks for the ideas. I will dive into it this fall after I win a few more trophies....ha

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    These procedures you describe are for the use of a "Leakdown tester" which is much better than a compression tester.
    I don't have a leak-down tester, but I have perfect hearing (at least according to the U.S. Air Force).
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I was just guessing on the pressure reading off the dash gauge.
    The blow-by is bad enough to pop the oil fill cap off. My milage has dropped
    about a third and power is weak. It's crazy but it starts and runs well. Oil
    is clean, smokes a little. Looks like an engine build this winter. Now the question
    is keep the turbo and add forged pistons, or toss the turbo and go for cams and
    headers. What's the best way to go? Meanwhile got a car show coming up.
    Took another first place last week. Sometimes it's nice being the only DeLorean
    in town.

Paul/Kate Cerny
    # 2691 Kalispell, MT
    If you have a turbo and you keep popping the oil filler off and blowing out oil, you overboosted and damaged pistons. Yes, you can do all kinds of testing but why? You already know you have damaged pistons and have to take the motor all apart. It is either that or get another motor.
    David Teitelbaum

Angry Found all the coolant!

Ok, so lets get this thread back on the original topic.
    I pressurized the coolant system, but was unable to find any exterior leaks. But I removed the intake manifold I most definitely found out where all my coolant has been going (see photo)! F***! Not sure how long this has been happening. I cleaned up most of the coolant pooling. Still haven't found the source of the leak. Further investigation will have to wait for a couple days due to my schedule.

IMG_2909.jpg

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I don't have a leak-down tester, but I have perfect hearing (at least according to the U.S. Air Force).
    I died laughing. Navy here, couldn't it be more true? YOUR HEARING IS FINE DAMMIT!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 121GWATT View Post
    Ok, so lets get this thread back on the original topic.
    I pressurized the coolant system, but was unable to find any exterior leaks. But I removed the intake manifold I most definitely found out where all my coolant has been going (see photo)! F***! Not sure how long this has been happening. I cleaned up most of the coolant pooling. Still haven't found the source of the leak. Further investigation will have to wait for a couple days due to my schedule.
    Drain the oil, and then pressurize the cooling system again with the drain plug out. That will show any internal leaks, i.e. cylinder jugs or certain forms of head gasket failure.

The valley leak is probably the hoses. There are quite a few connections that will dump into that area.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Judging from the green residue at each end of Y-pipe connection, it would be a strong indicator of leakage.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Once you find leakage under the intake manifold it really doesn't matter what is leaking, you are going to redo ALL of the hoses, gaskets, and seals under there.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Once you find leakage under the intake manifold it really doesn't matter what is leaking, you are going to redo ALL of the hoses, gaskets, and seals under there.
    +1.

It's also a great opportunity to clean the carbon out of your intake ports and manifold. I used cotton shop rags, and spray cans of carburetor cleaner. A one-foot piece of small wooden dowel helps reach the inaccessible areas with the rag. When cleaning the ports, to avoid having the cleaner wash down the cylinders, I sprayed the cleaner on the rag, not into the ports, (unless of course you can turn the crank to close the valves).
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast