FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Who says a Stage II setup has difficulty passing a smog test??

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Cool Who says a Stage II setup has difficulty passing a smog test??

Yes folks, it was that "oh so joyful" time that rolls around every 2 years (at least in my neck of the woods)! Ada County's Air Quality Control emissions testing! Benchmark year that all vehicles made in...you got it....1981 or newer must pass. BTW the benchmark year never changes even as we advance in calendar years. Go figure. Anyway.....I passed no problem.

8,450 miles on complete rebuild (July '13)
    DMC performance cams
    DPI exhaust w/cats

IMG_0392.jpgIMG_0393.jpg
    -Jeff

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffu View Post
    Yes folks, it was that "oh so joyful" time that rolls around every 2 years (at least in my neck of the woods)! Ada County's Air Quality Control emissions testing! Benchmark year that all vehicles made in...you got it....1981 or newer must pass. BTW the benchmark year never changes even as we advance in calendar years. Go figure. Anyway.....I passed no problem.

DMC performance cams
    DPI exhaust w/cats

IMG_0392.jpgIMG_0393.jpg
    The PRV was a very clean running motor for it's time. In good tune it easily passes '81 and 82 standards. It was one of the very few cars with fuel injection when most cars had carburetors and didn't run any near as clean as the PRV.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The PRV was a very clean running motor for it's time. In good tune it easily passes '81 and 82 standards. It was one of the very few cars with fuel injection when most cars had carburetors and didn't run any near as clean as the PRV.
    Yes Sir it was and still is!
    -Jeff

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The efficiency of the dual converters on the SPEC I system blows my mind. On a car "truly" dialed in the results are out of this world. This is due in part to having sub-strait over kill. Converter technology has come a long ways in 35 years. Our cat back system utilizes a sub-strait 2/3 the size of stock and passes 10% better than oem consistently.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    3997

DMC performance cams
    DPI exhaust w/cats

IMG_0392.jpgIMG_0393.jpg

Yeah....mine passed fine the first 2 times too. Revisit this in a couple years and let us know.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    The efficiency of the dual converters on the SPEC I system blows my mind. On a car "truly" dialed in the results are out of this world. This is due in part to having sub-strait over kill. Converter technology has come a long ways in 35 years. Our cat back system utilizes a sub-strait 2/3 the size of stock and passes 10% better than oem consistently.
    That exhaust is one of the best upgrades I did for the car!
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Yeah....mine passed fine the first 2 times too. Revisit this in a couple years and let us know.
    Will do. I will keep the group posted! This car isn't going anywhere.
    -Jeff

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

DMC performance cams
    DPI exhaust w/cats

IMG_0392.jpgIMG_0393.jpg
    Slightly off topic, but how did you wind up with DMC performance cams with a DPI exhaust? Are they the DMC-CA cams or the Stage 2 cams (Yes, I see the Stage II listed in the thread topic, but I didn't think you could get the Stage II cams outside of the full package installed at DMC)?
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    Slightly off topic, but how did you wind up with DMC performance cams with a DPI exhaust? Are they the DMC-CA cams or the Stage 2 cams (Yes, I see the Stage II listed in the thread topic, but I didn't think you could get the Stage II cams outside of the full package installed at DMC)?
    The performance cams where sourced through DMCNW. At the time the engine/tranny was out of the car and I was doing a complete engine rebuild. Given my location and current state of the engine at that time, I logistically could not have the car over at their shop.

I decided on the DPI exhaust because I felt it was a little better unit. Easier to pull components on and off if need be. I am not sure if Josh was offering performance cams at that time. He may have been??

In essence I built my own "Stage II" and perhaps I should not refer to it as such. But, oh well people understand the verbiage.
    Last edited by Jeffu; 06-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    -Jeff