FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Control iOS App - App and Bluetooth relay system

My VIN:    11633 (and formerly 3133)

DeLorean Control iOS App - App and Bluetooth relay system

Howdy. I am developing an iOS app which works in conjunction with a strip of Bluetooth activated relays to unlock/lock/open the doors, start the vehicle, and provide auto up/down for the windows. At the moment it is being developed for iPhone, but it will also be available for iPad (especially useful for in-dash iPad Mini installations). The hardware will be compatible with Android devices, but I don't have the expertise to write that app (maybe someone in this forum does).

Currently, I am able to unlock/lock #11633 and power up the accessory and main relays by remote. Starter will be next.

My question of the day, since I just got the 12V->5V converter I was waiting for, is: Where should I safely grab 12V (always on) and ground from within the relay/fuse compartment? This little unit uses very very little power, so I am planning to make it always on, with a switch to disable it for longterm storage.

My VIN:    03572

Pretty much all the brown wires are always "hot". Some are fused and others not fused. You can wire an added fuse to power your low current device to one of those brown wires.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I love this idea.... see my previous thread.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?90...ight=raspberry
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Awesome, Owen. Thanks for the link. I just read the whole thread. Cool to see progress others have made on this.

The Bluetooth route using an iOS device means that not only can an iPad Mini go in the dash a la DMCPat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

...but you can also control the vehicle via your phone from outside the car.

It also has made it possible to put the entire relay system in the relay compartment where it belongs, with no running of wires up to the dash. At the moment, I'm tapping into wires, but in the next version, NO wiring work will be necessary. It will be literally plug and play, if you can believe it... No crimping, no soldering, no modification to the car's wiring whatsoever. It will be something that can be installed in about a minute and removed just as quickly, returning the car back to its original state 100%.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Are these Bluetooth relays something you're building, or are they available as pre-built modules? I've been meaning to do something like this myself (mostly with Arduinos acting as the Bluetooth interface to the relay, and using an iPad app to provide an internet connection). Have to finish the other work no my car first, though.

-- Joe

My VIN:    07000

This is pretty cool. I've been wanting to do the same, being a UI/UX designer and had some ideas as well on making the car semi-autonomous as well.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Your ideas are intriguing to me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    HomerSimpson18.jpg

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm doing a lot of similar work for KITT, actually.

My software is its own beast though, with no client software to speak of. It talks to itself to accomplish tasks (like a good KITT should).
    - Chris

what

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until I'd made more progress, but what the hell... the relay strips are from Tinysine:

http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?...product_id=371

They are very well built, affordable, reliable, and they ship very quickly. There are wifi and other versions available, as well as one with temp sensor, which might be useful for climate control or even to show engine temp (although I haven't verified that the sensors can handle high temperatures).

The wiring harness I am creating for this plugs into the relay sockets, and then the existing relays for the vehicle plug into the harness. This way no wires need to be cut, tapped, soldered, etc. It is 100% plug and play.

The iOS interface is just a row of buttons right now, but my background is information architecture and interface design, so I will not only put a lot of effort into the interface, I plan to allow the user to add their own skins. Communicating with the Bluetooth interface is so simple, though, that anybody with some coding knowledge will likely be able to create their own app if they don't like mine.

Here is the progress I made on day one:

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Looks like your video is flagged as "private".

Those relays look pretty interesting. The other part of my project involves getting data out of the car (monitoring various lines with an Arduino) to get them back to the phone/computer/etc, so I was going to have the Arduinos do the switching as well, but since these relays can be controlled via any Bluetooth source they might still prove useful. Mostly I had no idea that this kind of thing existed already. Nice.

Alas, for my project I'll likely have to cut some wires, but I already have some reasonably extensive modifications planned anyway, so keeping things stock has already gone out the window for me.

Good luck!

-- Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast