FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Air conditioning hose replacement

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

It ended up being close to nine pages long and includes handy pictures, diagrams etc. Should keep you out of trouble.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    I bought the full kit with hoses and compressor. My kit included all of the fittings, hoses, accumulator, orifice tube, hose clamps, etc., and a new back plate for the compressor. I contacted Josh and he said the compressor will ship separately. It should be here any day. New condenser is on the way from John Hervey, and should arrive later this week.

I'm not an automotive air conditioning repair guy.... I own a drive-in movie theatre, so I really don't have a clue how all of these fittings are supposed to connect to what.
    I know I can call Josh if necessary, as he has been more than helpful in the past.

Trying to decide if I tackle this on my own or take it all to my local mechanic and say "You figure it out".

Does anyone have a completed set of photos they've taken of this installation?
    I tried the JH condenser a few years ago. The holes didn't line up w/ the ones on the radiator, so it went back, and I ordered a new one from DMCMW. I'm surprised you didn't order all of the parts from the same vendor?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We are currently out of stock on our condenser assemblies (now made in house like our radiators and waiting on core components).
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Schrader valves

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    This brings up a good question. Are the valve cores used in A/C systems made with specific compatible materials and rated for high pressures? IE not your typical tire valve core.
    Hi there,

I want to change the 2 Schrader valve cores on my compressor when I open up my A/C system, and I have a few related questions on replacing them with quality, appropriate ones:

1) What valve material is best, aluminum or brass?

2) What seal material is best: HNBC, Neoprene, Teflon, etc?

3) I understand they are a standard 1/4" size, correct?

4) Any preferred brands, like original Schrader, etc.?

I have the original compressor with brass caps, running R12. Given that this is reported to be one of the most common leak points in the system, and you can't change them once the system is full, I figure choosing the right ones would be good.

Thanks,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You can simply Google A/C valve cores and that will bring up the appropriate ones. They are different seal material from tire valves.

You could just go to your local Auto Parts store and see what they have for A/C type valves. Take an old one with you.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Air conditioning hose replacement

When I replaced my A/C lines earlier this summer, I had to remove the cores from the replacement charge ports to install 134a quick coupler adapters. These are those removed cores.

They are a combination Brass and Stainless steel construction.

Dennis
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-10-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

I want to change the 2 Schrader valve cores on my compressor when I open up my A/C system, and I have a few related questions on replacing them with quality, appropriate ones:

1) What valve material is best, aluminum or brass?

2) What seal material is best: HNBC, Neoprene, Teflon, etc?

3) I understand they are a standard 1/4" size, correct?

4) Any preferred brands, like original Schrader, etc.?

I have the original compressor with brass caps, running R12. Given that this is reported to be one of the most common leak points in the system, and you can't change them once the system is full, I figure choosing the right ones would be good.

Thanks,
    AC valve cores usually are deeper in the stem than a tire valve so you probably will need the removal tool like this.

http://www.acsource.com/r134avalvecoretool.aspx
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Air conditioning hose replacement

Plus a couple of these.

http://www.acsource.com/valvecore59346a.aspx

Dennis
    DENNIS

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks Dennis and Dave. That's very helpful. Appreciate the vendor link as well.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4