FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Alternative Duct to Door Adapter Seal #105213

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Alternative Duct to Door Adapter Seal #105213

I was riding the bicycle when I passed over the following items laying in the curb:

I couldn't resist picking them up (which I'm prone to doing ...I have a GREAT can cooler collection because of that bad habit) and as I thought about them I wondered if they would make for a better looking Duct to door seal (Item # 105213).

I removed the original seals and guess what! With a little stretching they fit perfect. Here are some photos (The first two are the replacements and the second two show the originals):

They look better than the originals with either the door open or closed and provide a better seal.

These are the cushions from over the ear headphones... trouble is that I don't know which ones. When shaped into a circle they measure 2" ID and 4" OD +/- . In their original oval shape they are about 3 3/4" x 4 1/4" OD +/-.

A quick eBay search found that they may fit:
    - Headphone Ear Cup pads Cushions for Sony MDR7506 MDRV6 MDR-7506 MDR-V6
    - Audio Technica ATH-M50 M20 M30 Headphone
    I quit looking after those two listings

If they fit, they can be had $3 or $4 delivered from China.

I don't know how well these would last (don't trow away the originals). They have a soft cover material. When the doors close, it is mostly a squishing action with little sideways movement so they may last a while.

Anyone know the dimensions of the ducts in the real quarter panels? If so, these may be a better alternative to the seals used there as well.
    Attached Images
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    16409

That's a great idea. I don't know how long they will hold up with the door being opened and closed. But, I've gone through like two sets of original rubber seals on my car, so an alternative sounds good to me.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    ... don't know how long they will hold up
    If they can be had for $3 - $4 delivered, buying a bunch makes it worth while.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".