FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean market analysis opinions

If you think about how much a Delorean cost new in 1981 money they are a bargain today. Back in 1981 a new Corvette was 15 to 16k a Cadillac Eldorado was 19k. Today what can you buy for 25k that has the looks and the appeal of a Delorean? New transportation cars cost a lot more and they are just throw away cars. Its about time the Delorean went up in value. Back in the 1970's you could buy a 1963 Corvette split widow coupe for $2000. today they are 50k on up. I do not think a Delorean is going to go down in value.....every young child today knows what a Delorean is and knows its a special car. Just like people know want a Model A Ford is or a 1960's Mustang is.. even the two seat T-Birds. A Delorean is not a car like the Studebaker Avanti that knowone knows anything about and just slips off and is forgotten about. The Delorean is here to stay and will recogniized by the masses.

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

As previous posts stated, I don't think the movie's anniversary has much to do with the increase in prices. More likely, its the (slowly) recovering economy. As long as there is steady economic growth, I think all classics will continue to increase in value.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My guess is the people that grew up about the time BTTF was a movie for 10 year olds now can afford to own a classic car.
    My 2 cents:

I'm on board with what Dave here said. The theory that if there is an increase (and the jury seems to still be out on whether car prices are going up because of something specific of just because another year went by) that it may be related to people that were the ear to ear grinning kids when the movie first came out and are now in a financial position to own one.

The age at which those 1985 ten year olds can afford a classic car seems to change too. I have heard the theory that when a certain era of old cars start getting big dollars at auction, it can be traced back to when the guys that are now in their 60s, have some extra cash because their kids are gone, the house is paid for, the "golden years" have arrived... AND.... they now are going to finally go get the car they couldn't have when they were a teenager. This recently has been that late 60s muscle car segment of big engine Camaros and Chevelles and the like.

The generation that were kids in 1985 are not retirement age yet, but that's where the interesting twist of the young breed comes in. Many around that age (born in the 70s or even early 80s I guess) put career first over family and so might already have enough cash to go for it. Or maybe they never got the family part and there has been ample cash already. Or it's part of "generation now" or the YOLO type thinking and they don't care if they have the cash, they're buying one anyway (we often see the "did you finance your DeLorean?" thread, right?).

And then you take all of that and add to it that these cars are not really all that expensive compared to wanting the cars from the "justification for higher education" poster and it's no wonder so many new owners are no where near 60 years of age. What we might keep seeing is this rise in poor condition cars because if someone in that formula above wants to get in the game, either they need to keep having a little bit more money on day one as the years go on, or the condition of the car for that set amount of money keeps getting worse. If the typical demographic can swing $20k but no more, maybe that's why we see a big hike in prices and less inventory for sale of the project/train wreck cars and not as much movement in the high end $35k and up condition cars.

Something in the economy could change to bring a wave of buyers to the market capable of spending $35k on their childhood dream, but that could be another 15 years or so until those teenagers from 1985 really are at retirement age (assuming there is still an economy left and the world still runs on gasoline).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6585

Quick version: Prices are going up because there are less cars for sale.

About 17 down to about 14 years ago, we had a market FLOODED with barn find cars. People just started dumping them on the market. I'm sure that Y2K did it's own part to help with that too from what I recall on CCTOL. Then as word started getting out, we saw more people go after them when they learned more about the parts supply in Houston.

Drop down to about 8 years ago, and we saw many people selling off their toys because of the economy which resulted in another small bump in cars for sale and perhaps a small dip in prices, but not all that much.

Give it another 5-7 years, and we'll see the next big bump as sadly we start to see the majority of deaths of the first owners and investors that bought cars (baby boomers). We'll see a slight dip again in prices given how many are for sale, but save for another financial crisis if one were to happen, the next big dip will be in about another 30 or so years as Generation X starts to die off. And unless DMCH has some SERIOUS marketing (which they might thanks to the replica car bill), most of our cars that have survived up until that point will probably be in museums by that time, never to drive again. Though they are DeLoreans: The car that will not seem to die. There ALWAYS seems to be someone that gets enchanted by them and keeps them going.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bet on prices ever going down again. You've got not only inflation, but we're at the point where 2nd & 3rd owners have our cars and we're not giving them up until personal crises or death. Which dries up the market and drives prices on available cars up.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    16306

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    My 2 cents:

I'm on board with what Dave here said. The theory that if there is an increase (and the jury seems to still be out on whether car prices are going up because of something specific of just because another year went by) that it may be related to people that were the ear to ear grinning kids when the movie first came out and are now in a financial position to own one.
    To help that theory, I was one of those grinning kids that fell in love with the car thanks to the movies and was finally able to afford one last year. In fact I made an extra effort to buy it last year specifically because I wasn't sure if BTTF would affect prices this year.

My VIN:    10201

Lol I'm one of the young people that financed the car. Wanted a classic car for too long. I didn't want to wait for them to go up in value and fork over more money when I'm retired.

My VIN:    Time Will Tell...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Count me in as a lifelong fan of BTTF who is at least planning on buying a D soon. Had I not gotten married and decided to buy a house I'd have bought one by now.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Lol I'm one of the young people that financed the car. Wanted a classic car for too long. I didn't want to wait for them to go up in value and fork over more money when I'm retired.
    Some say you shouldn't finance a DeLorean, but I disagree. Anyone who was/is waiting would've been money ahead by now if they financed a year or two ago.

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Some say you shouldn't finance a DeLorean, but I disagree. Anyone who was/is waiting would've been money ahead by now if they financed a year or two ago.
    And you would be right.

For me I am a combination of both worlds. I am "financing" mine, but also have the cash. Divorced/Single with no kids so the D will be my kid. In order to get the cash I am "borrowing" against my retirement. So I'm kindof paying myself back with interest. Almost like an IRA but with no penalty.

I liked the Delorean in 1982 before BTTF came along. BTTF was just icing on the Delorean cake!!!!

--Doug
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 06-30-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: clarity

My VIN:    10201

I forgot that the previous owner who was a baby boomer bought it new in 82. He passed away and it was sold on commission by a dealership.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast