FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: One Time Opportunity: Upgraded (“bulletproof”) transmission coupler order

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

To add to my previous post:

The Sales & Liability Agreement will also be an electronically signable PDF document. That should make the process of filling it out much easier. Otherwise it's: print, sign, scan, send.

Thanks,
    Nick

Club(s):   (DCF)

For the record, no one ever sent me a toby coupler. I was loaned an original shaft from a kind vendor that I will test fit all the couplers before I send them out.

Quote Originally Posted by SEO Motorsports View Post
    For the record, no one ever sent me a toby coupler. I was loaned an original shaft from a kind vendor that I will test fit all the couplers before I send them out.
    Whoops, sorry must have missread.

Thanks again for the help Ed.

Also I have PMd the first 5 people from the list posted earlier.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Nick,

Thanks for posting on this. I"ll keep it short to make it easier to read this time. I was thrown off as I thought I was dealing with SEO. Not invested as we have our own but wanted to help owners interested in couplers only. My main concern was the liability and your well being when I realized you personally were behind this. I almost learned the hard way early on when all I was trying to do was help as you are while enjoying my at the time hobby. If I had known up front the actual situation and who was involved I could have offered positive insight and of course help with liability up front. I thought I was dealing with a "business" (SEO) where that should have been sorted already. As stated prior we are still committed to supporting. But when things became a bit clouded questions needed to be asked.

Regards

Josh
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

All,

I installed one of the couplers on a transmission and it went on just like Nick said it would. After cleaning the splines and adding a little lube I just lightly tapped the coupler on and installed the roll pin. I'm glad we decided to do this because the transmission that Henrik got was not very clean inside and the bell housing bolts were loose and the bottom ones were missing. It's all cleaned up and going back together now.

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Nick,

Thanks for posting on this. I"ll keep it short to make it easier to read this time. I was thrown off as I thought I was dealing with SEO. Not invested as we have our own but wanted to help owners interested in couplers only. My main concern was the liability and your well being when I realized you personally were behind this. I almost learned the hard way early on when all I was trying to do was help as you are while enjoying my at the time hobby. If I had known up front the actual situation and who was involved I could have offered positive insight and of course help with liability up front. I thought I was dealing with a "business" (SEO) where that should have been sorted already. As stated prior we are still committed to supporting. But when things became a bit clouded questions needed to be asked.

Regards

Josh
    Thank you for the insight Josh; I really do appreciate it. And I am sorry about the confusion. This project did bounce around a lot in the beginning and the details didn't flush out until a couple weeks in (and some are still flushing out). You are certainly right; as good of friends as we all are on here, some questions do need to be asked. I honestly should have considered the liability aspect earlier on. On this site we see a lot of upgrade parts, improved parts, cosmetic parts, etc. made at enthusiast level quantities, but rarely is it a drivetrain component. This is certainly not to diminish the work of any other members designs or products, its just to state that the potential liability is different. At some point I do hope to establish a LLC for my little side projects (both DeLorean and non-DeLorean related), but I haven't taken that step yet. Maybe this will motivate me to do that sooner than later. For now there is the Sales and Liability Agreement.

All,

I installed one of the couplers on a transmission and it went on just like Nick said it would. After cleaning the splines and adding a little lube I just lightly tapped the coupler on and installed the roll pin. I'm glad we decided to do this because the transmission that Henrik got was not very clean inside and the bell housing bolts were loose and the bottom ones were missing. It's all cleaned up and going back together now.

-Ed
    Glad to hear it!

In my experience, the splines on the shafts usually need an intense brushing with a steel brush before reassembly.

Also, for those that have never tried to remove an old coupler; note that you'll need either a press, or a big hammer and torch. The 3 that I have ever removed have been practically seized onto the clutch shaft. I tried using a bearing puller once; that was a mistake; snapped the puller in half. The good news (for those replacing their coupler) is that the original coupler is not hardened or heat treated; but the shafts are. As such, the coupler is much softer and if required, will deform first leaving the shaft splines unaffected.

It got a lot of cleaning for sure!

When you get back you have to stop by and see this one. I outdid myself on with the adapter, flywheel and clutch combination. I was able to use all off the shelf parts as maintenance replacements. It did get a custom aluminum flywheel but with a replaceable friction surface so the flywheel itself is not a wearable item. The clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing are parts you can get at most any parts store. This one will be close in power as the 2JZ car but have better weight distribution because the VR6 is shorter and lighter.

It got a lot of cleaning for sure!

When you get back you have to stop by and see this one. I outdid myself on with the adapter, flywheel and clutch combination. I was able to use all off the shelf parts as maintenance replacements. It did get a custom aluminum flywheel but with a replaceable friction surface so the flywheel itself is not a wearable item. The clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing are parts you can get at most any parts store. This one will be close in power as the 2JZ car but have better weight distribution because the VR6 is shorter and lighter.
    From the sounds of it you may be finished with it before I get back! I'll either return at the beginning of January or some time in March (still remains to be seen...). If it's still there I'll definitely come see it! That drivetrain stackup sounds REALLY nice

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    From the sounds of it you may be finished with it before I get back! I'll either return at the beginning of January or some time in March (still remains to be seen...). If it's still there I'll definitely come see it! That drivetrain stackup sounds REALLY nice
    Hi Nick,
    We're shooting for completing this project by end of year, but then again, there is no set deadline... but you're very welcome to swing by the Dallas area to check it out! I'm working on a blog for this project that I will put up on dmctalk shortly.

Henrik
    Formerly Stage 1 and auto. Soon VR6 and manual transmission.

All,

I have received an email to ship out all the couplers for the people that Nick has been in contact with. The roll pins we received were not the correct ones so Nick is having new ones sent to me. I can ship the couplers out and you get a new OEM one to use or wait for the new roll pins and I'll ship everything out together. For those of you who have paid Nick let me know if you prefer i just send yours now without a roll pin.

-Ed

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast