FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Steering column

Steering column

Went to install my new firewall steering column bushing as it looks as though I don`t have one,but,at the bottom of my shaft going into the steering rack i have two universal joints. The directions call for loosening a nut on the center slip joint,"collapsing" the shaft. I don`t have that.Everything is loose but i can`t get enough North and South movement to clear the splines to move my upper universal joint out of the way to get to the firewall from the luggage compartment.Looks like previous owner installed a non Delorean shaft. Any ideas? Do I have to remove the steering column inside the car entirely? I`m open to suggestions. Thanks,Steve.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by steve6864 View Post
    Any ideas? Do I have to remove the steering column inside the car entirely? I`m open to suggestions. Thanks,Steve.
    Usually, but it is possible to push the inner column shaft up into the column. Just may not be worth the effort.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by steve6864 View Post
    Went to install my new firewall steering column bushing as it looks as though I don`t have one,but,at the bottom of my shaft going into the steering rack i have two universal joints. The directions call for loosening a nut on the center slip joint,"collapsing" the shaft. I don`t have that.Everything is loose but i can`t get enough North and South movement to clear the splines to move my upper universal joint out of the way to get to the firewall from the luggage compartment.Looks like previous owner installed a non Delorean shaft. Any ideas? Do I have to remove the steering column inside the car entirely? I`m open to suggestions. Thanks,Steve.
    To remove the short shaft with the U joints(#16) you must remove (not just loosen) bolt #17 (2) and #20. Before trying to slide the shaft you should clean up the splines well. Easier but more work if you remove the steering column. If you do not have the stock parts maybe you should replace them. See 5-2-1 in the Parts Manual.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks guys. Wrestled it off down at the steering rack,got the new bushing in. The Womens World Cup and darkness means putting everything back together will have to wait. New steering rack boots and tie rods while I`m at it.