FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clutch fine when car's cold. When warm it grinds into reverse and first...

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Clutch fine when car's cold. When warm it grinds into reverse and first...

I wanted to throw this out because it's an issue I've had since winter left Alabama this year.
    When I first start my car cold, (although ambient temps may be in the 80's+), my clutch allows me to shift into first or reverse with no problems.
    After driving for 10 minutes or so, (Car fully warmed up), I can't shift from neutral into reverse or first without Forcing it/Grinding it into gear. (I've tried pumping it also, no Luck).
    I have the Stainless clutch hose. The clutch reservoir is not losing fluid. The fluid was just over 2 years old and Almost clear.
    When the car is Warmed up, (I.E., I can't shift into reverse/first from neutral without grinding gears), I tend to down shift into first before I stop at red lights and stay there until the light turns green.
    I don't have any reduced clutch loss at Long red lights. If you know what I'm saying.

EDIT: Why would I get reduced clutch travel when the car is warm... (Now)?

Any thoughts?

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 07-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

The first step is pretty much always to change your transmission fluid. Any idea how old it is?

maybe you need to bleed some air from your clutch line..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Well George, this certainly sounds very familiar (although mine did only grind when I went for reverse)

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2017

I ended up having a new clutch kit installed which resolved my issues.
    Last edited by MikeWard; 07-06-2015 at 05:32 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    Well George, this certainly sounds very familiar (although mine did only grind when I went for reverse)

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2017

I ended up having a new clutch kit installed which resolved my issues.
    First step is to check the level of the fluid in the transaxle. Next, if you don't know what is in there and how old it is you change it. If that doesn't fix it you flush and bleed the clutch hydraulics. If it still isn't good you pull the transaxle and replace the clutch and check the roll pin.
    David Teitelbaum

The trans fluid change is probably something to consider but, I would look for a damaged section of the clutch line. Is it against the exhaust pipe some where?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post
    The trans fluid change is probably something to consider but, I would look for a damaged section of the clutch line. Is it against the exhaust pipe some where?
    Forgot to mention, if you still have the plastic line it should be replaced with the S/S braided line when you flush and bleed the clutch.
    David Teitelbaum

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Thanks for the replies!

David T, I Do have the SS clutch line.
    Nicholas R, From what I understand, (I Didn't get paperwork documentation), DMCFlorida changed All the fluids when they acquired the car for re-sale Approx. 4? years ago.
    Mike Ward, The link you posted requires me to be a member and logged in before I can view it.
    BABIS, Bleeding the clutch is my next step to insure that's not the problem.

Granted, I've put 28,000+ miles on the car since I first got it in Sept. 2012.

Thanks again guys!

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

David T, I Do have the SS clutch line.
    Nicholas R, From what I understand, (I Didn't get paperwork documentation), DMCFlorida changed All the fluids when they acquired the car for re-sale Approx. 4? years ago.
    Mike Ward, The link you posted requires me to be a member and logged in before I can view it.
    BABIS, Bleeding the clutch is my next step to insure that's not the problem.

Granted, I've put 28,000+ miles on the car since I first got it in Sept. 2012.

Thanks again guys!

George
    If you bleed the system and it fixes it, but it comes back later, replace the slave. And probably the master at the same time. EVEN IF it isn't leaking.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

George, your description is identical to mine a few weeks ago. I replaced the master and slave in 2011 and put in a SS line too. But early in the season this year, I found it hard to get gear without grinding when the car was hot. But mysteriously when the car was cold, it was ok. Thanks to Justin at Wells Auto, I realized that the slave was leaking even though I had only put 6000 or 7000 kms (about 4000 miles) since replacing the slave. Justin replace the slave for me but when he was bleeding the system, he couldn’t get pressure so he ended up replacing the master too! After only 4 years and with such little mileage. Anyway, the problem is totally gone now with a new master and slave. BTW for anyone in the Greater Toronto area who doesn’t already know, Justin is THE guy at Wells Auto in Guelph.

……Mike……