FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Full-on Hover Mode Time Machine

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    gizadeathstar.com
    If you're linking to crank web sites, you've effectively conceeded the argument. That exact same 'Russians have secret antigravity' story has been doing the rounds on the Internet since at least the mid 90s. I said 'no credible indication' because like cold fusion, perpetual motion, healing crystals and cars that run on tap water, cranks have been claiming to invent antigravity several times a year for the last century. Obviously it would be great if we could control gravity or inertia, or create force without using thrusters, but actual qualified scientists and engineers have been researching these ideas for a century as well and as yet nothing reproducable has turned up. That's not to say that it is known to impossible, just that so far there is no indication that it can be done. Honestly if you're relying on antigravity you might as well say that you're going to build a working time machine, because there's roughly the same amount of scientific and engineering basis for it.

Back in the day "They" said that breaking the sound barrier was impossible
    Supersonic motion was known to be physically possible before aircraft were invented because artillery shells were already supersonic. The question was whether it was possible to build a practical supersonic aircraft; the structural strength and thrust-to-drag ratio issues were tough but relatively straightforward problems. The real unknown was the aerodynamics; solving the instabilities and finding a workable control scheme. Lacking powerful computer models in the 1940s, the only solution was subscale wind tunnel models, and building research aircraft until something worked. Very few actual engineers or scientists said it was 'impossible'; only sensational journalists.

Compact VTOLs are not in that category; the science and engineering is well understood and we can establish what can and can't work with relatively straightforward maths (and for borderline cases, computer modelling). Antigravity isn't in that category either; meteors and rifle bullets were supersonic before we tried to build supersonic aircraft, but antigravity has never been observed anywhere in nature or human endeavour. Supersonic flight was a logical extrapolation of subsonic flight; increase the thrust or the power in the wind tunnel, then search for solutions to the resulting problems. Antigravity is not a logical extension of anything else we can do; we literally don't know how to get started (magnetic levitation is a real thing of course but unrelated to this problem). We can't even build a computer model, because we have no idea if the phenomenon even exists.

In short, analogies can be useful for explaining things, but sloppy ones are just misleading.
    Last edited by Starglider; 07-24-2015 at 03:33 PM.

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    If you're linking to crank web sites, you've effectively conceeded the argument. That exact same 'Russians have secret antigravity' story has been doing the rounds on the Internet since at least the mid 90s. I said 'no credible indication' because like cold fusion, perpetual motion, healing crystals and cars that run on tap water, cranks have been claiming to invent antigravity several times a year for the last century. Obviously it would be great if we could control gravity or inertia, or create force without using thrusters, but actual qualified scientists and engineers have been researching these ideas for a century as well and as yet nothing reproducable has turned up. That's not to say that it is known to impossible, just that so far there is no indication that it can be done. Honestly if you're relying on antigravity you might as well say that you're going to build a working time machine, because there's roughly the same amount of scientific and engineering basis for it.

Supersonic motion was known to be physically possible before aircraft were invented because artillery shells were already supersonic. The question was whether it was possible to build a practical supersonic aircraft; the structural strength and thrust-to-drag ratio issues were tough but relatively straightforward problems. The real unknown was the aerodynamics; solving the instabilities and finding a workable control scheme. Lacking powerful computer models in the 1940s, the only solution was subscale wind tunnel models, and building research aircraft until something worked. Very few actual engineers or scientists said it was 'impossible'; only sensational journalists.

Compact VTOLs are not in that category; the science and engineering is well understood and we can establish what can and can't work with relatively straightforward maths (and for borderline cases, computer modelling). Antigravity isn't in that category either; meteors and rifle bullets were supersonic before we tried to build supersonic aircraft, but antigravity has never been observed anywhere in nature or human endeavour. Supersonic flight was a logical extrapolation of subsonic flight; increase the thrust or the power in the wind tunnel, then search for solutions to the resulting problems. Antigravity is not a logical extension of anything else we can do; we literally don't know how to get started (magnetic levitation is a real thing of course but unrelated to this problem). We can't even build a computer model, because we have no idea if the phenomenon even exists.

In short, analogies can be useful for explaining things, but sloppy ones are just misleading.
    Not to get into an arguement but as previously stated I did a generic Google search. Also two magnets close in proximity are a form of antigravity. (think that hoverboard gizmo that they are selling for 10k or more). For all of your "science" have you ever considered that if you could concentrate a "nozzle" that could match or exceed the earth's gravitational pull in that specific area and exceed it that you would have Anti grav?? All that we would need is for that to kick in to allow some sort of "Hover mode" in order to transition from ground mode to flight mode. Google search that hoverboard. Like I said the tech is there, only 10 to 50 more years. BTW I work for TARDEC and if timetravel or hover conversion were possible, we would be the one to invent it so I do kindof know what I am talking about..... (kind of nice to have a pretty much unlimited budget and some of the best minds on the planet working on stuff )

http://hendohover.com/

Hendo Hoverboard. Now do the same thing for a D with obviously massive power requirements ( and what to you get? Antigrav....

Our public facing website:

http://www.army.mil/tardec

Like I said, this is all rhetorical, but even our modern day appliances started out as a discussion of "What If's"? So this discussion is welcome!

Cheers!
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 07-27-2015 at 10:38 AM.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    BTW I work for TARDEC and if timetravel or hover conversion were possible, we would be the one to invent it so I do kindof know what I am talking about..... (kind of nice to have a pretty much unlimited budget and some of the best minds on the planet working on stuff )
    I used to work at Applied Minds, an R&D Thinktank in LA.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Even if it worked as advertized, can you imagine the carnage in the sky if we let the sort of people who can't operate a vehicle in 2 dimensions loose with one that requires 3D skills.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    07000

Full-on Hover Mode Time Machine

I think if we let cars fly in numbers, there would be a system in place to keep them all going where they need to go via autopilot- so there'd be no crashes hopefully. Tell the car where you want to go, it takes off, flies you there, and lands automatically- which is tied into an overall traffic control system. I was amazed one time I flew in a very small chopper- when we hit our cruise elevation you could see "lanes" other aircraft were taking based on the streets below us.

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Even if it worked as advertized, can you imagine the carnage in the sky if we let the sort of people who can't operate a vehicle in 2 dimensions loose with one that requires 3D skills.
    Yeah, this.

Not to mention what happens when you get a mechanical break down! Don't get me wrong, I want to fly... but other drivers scare me down here on the ground!

My VIN:    06357

Who’s taken the final step and converted their car to hover-mode?
    Is it permanent/semi-permanent?
    How is it done?

Seen at Montreal Comic-Con recently.
    Hi ! This one belongs to a friend of mine in Montreal. It's an early Vin with the flap hood, auto. and black interior.

It's our only Time Machine in Quebec. The hover mode effect was created about 2 years ago by an other owner of an original Delorean. But it's a fix display, you have to take the wheels of and install this kit.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Oh I agree. But many people invented things that were not practical. Example: Products on infomericals. I think the only thing that would stop flying cars would be the insurance industry. Could you imagine the car insurance prices?

--Doug
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4