Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: AutoCool in Smyrna?

  1. #11
    Senior Member DL4567's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  GA

    Posts:    724

    My VIN:    5302

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    I have replaced EVERY part on the a/c system except the small hose. Im sure thats where my leak is. I go through a can a year. Want to order two small hoses and we can replace them at the same time?
    Sure, that sounds like a plan! Although there seem to be a bunch of options on that.... do you just get the single hose itself from houston?

    http://store.delorean.com/p-7719-hose-cndsr-evap.aspx

    Their page states you should also get the condenser adapter and hi-pressure wiring harness. Are they really necessary?

    http://store.delorean.com/p-7725-adapter-condenser.aspx
    http://store.delorean.com/p-7726-har...-press-sw.aspx

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    No. Sorry for the confusion...I was thinking you need to make sure it wasn't engine oil slung, spilled, etc.
    Small leaks at that o-ring are among the hardest to hard to detect...you have to have the engine running and it engaged to get the pressure up...air blowing everywhere :-(

    Do I hear a mountain road run/social/tech meet in the making?
    Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not engine oil. It's very evenly distributed all around the compressor pulley, which doesn't run most of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    This looks interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIeqahYPrCQ
    ~$36.00 + S&H for their tool and seal.
    Yeah, that does look interesting! Much better than a new $250 compressor if it's not needed. So the "SANDEN 7-5 SERIES Tool - Part SPSDN", and the "SANDEN 7H/709 5H/508 ONE PIECE SEAL KIT- Part MT2187" are the right ones to get? If I'm not mistaken, the DeLorean one is the Sanden SD-510.

    EDIT: on another page of their site, they list "Part SK-717NS - SANDEN 507-508-510 SHAFT SEAL KIT." I guess the kit above should work then, if the 507, 508, and 510 are fairly interchangeable with the shaft seal.

    (It's about halfway down)
    http://centuryautoair.com/mcart/inde...&page=2&cat=14
    Last edited by DL4567; 07-12-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

  2. #12
    User title. Soundkillr's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    872

    My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Yes, it looks to me like you will need all 3. The original had the switch welded in, this one it screws on and has an adapter for the harness

    Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    Sure, that sounds like a plan! Although there seem to be a bunch of options on that.... do you just get the single hose itself from houston?

    http://store.delorean.com/p-7719-hose-cndsr-evap.aspx

    Their page states you should also get the condenser adapter and hi-pressure wiring harness. Are they really necessary?

    http://store.delorean.com/p-7725-adapter-condenser.aspx
    http://store.delorean.com/p-7726-har...-press-sw.aspx



    Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not engine oil. It's very evenly distributed all around the compressor pulley, which doesn't run most of the time.



    Yeah, that does look interesting! Much better than a new $250 compressor if it's not needed. So the "SANDEN 7-5 SERIES Tool - Part SPSDN", and the "SANDEN 7H/709 5H/508 ONE PIECE SEAL KIT- Part MT2187" are the right ones to get? If I'm not mistaken, the DeLorean one is the Sanden SD-510.

    EDIT: on another page of their site, they list "Part SK-717NS - SANDEN 507-508-510 SHAFT SEAL KIT." I guess the kit above should work then, if the 507, 508, and 510 are fairly interchangeable with the shaft seal.

    (It's about halfway down)
    http://centuryautoair.com/mcart/inde...&page=2&cat=14
    Soundkillr was here.

  3. #13
    Admn Retired Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    4,045

    My VIN:    1669 (Sold) Looking for 5 spd...

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    So the "SANDEN 7-5 SERIES Tool - Part SPSDN", and the "SANDEN 7H/709 5H/508 ONE PIECE SEAL KIT- Part MT2187" are the right ones to get? If I'm not mistaken, the DeLorean one is the Sanden SD-510.

    EDIT: on another page of their site, they list "Part SK-717NS - SANDEN 507-508-510 SHAFT SEAL KIT." I guess the kit above should work then, if the 507, 508, and 510 are fairly interchangeable with the shaft seal.

    (It's about halfway down)
    http://centuryautoair.com/mcart/inde...&page=2&cat=14
    I'd call them to make sure since it says, "...kit for most...510 compressors". ...and mentions a newer style.

  4. #14
    Senior Member DL4567's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  GA

    Posts:    724

    My VIN:    5302

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Took the car for a drive last night. It was a great evening for non-working AC! Anyway, I drove the whole time with just the windows rolled down, but before turning the car off at home, I flipped on the AC just to see what would happen, and it was something I didn't expect.

    The compressor came on (unlike when it's low on freon), BUT, it stayed on continuously and never cycled. I let it run for 2-3 minutes and finally shut the car off. So that's weird. I'm guessing that's an indicator of something else wrong in the system? Maybe a pressure switch gone bad or there's a blockage somewhere (like the orifice tube)?

    I swear.... the AC is the *bane* of this car. Nothing else has frustrated me even 10% as much since owning it.
    Last edited by DL4567; 07-13-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

  5. #15
    Admn Retired Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    4,045

    My VIN:    1669 (Sold) Looking for 5 spd...

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    It could do that with the charge AND ambient temp low...I wouldn't worry about that right now.

  6. #16
    Senior Member DL4567's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  GA

    Posts:    724

    My VIN:    5302

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    So I sucked it up and got up at 6am on a Saturday and went to this place yesterday. Arrived at 7:30 to be first in line, which was a good thing because they get pretty busy by 9, and it isn't even that hot yet. It was damn far for me to go, and I hate 285 with a passion (officially the deadliest highway in the U.S. now, based on fatalities per mile), but the actual AutoCool place was a good experience.

    They said they get about 1 DeLorean per year, so were decently familiar with the specifics of its AC system, and spent about 2 hours working on my car. They evacuated it, retrofitted R-134 fittings, and charged it with R-134, then leak tested for a while as best they could without having it on a lift or spending overnight on it. At the end, they told me they couldn't find any real leaks, the oil on the compressor didn't seem to be a problem, and that it should do ok for the foreseeable future. I sure hope they're right!! It blows cold as it ever did, and I was chilly on the way home, but admittedly it was only about 78 outside.

    He also told me I should start the car once a week even if I don't drive it, and run the AC for a few minutes, and that should keep it from leaking for as long as possible. Easier said than done, but I will sure try.

    They also said one of my radiator fans isn't coming on. Which is NOT normal, right?? The driver's side fan works, but not the passenger. It's not supposed to come on in stages as the engine gets hotter or anything, right? My temp needle has always been in the normal range, and the fan(s) have always kept it between the quarter and middle lines, and I don't have any sort of aftermarket fan-controller that I'm aware of. So that's weird.

    And finally, since no one responded to my original question in this thread about taking their car there, someone is in BIG TROUBLE!!! Not only did they say they get 1 DeLo per year, but this photo was on their wall of interesting customers:



    Derek L
    VIN 5302

  7. #17
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    6,363

    My VIN:    03572

    I have seen a few owners that never knew they were running only one fan.

    Do you have the original fan fail unit (the blue relay)? If so, it needs to be replaced and is probably the fault of only one fan running.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  8. #18
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    6,840

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    So I sucked it up and got up at 6am on a Saturday and went to this place yesterday. Arrived at 7:30 to be first in line, which was a good thing because they get pretty busy by 9, and it isn't even that hot yet. It was damn far for me to go, and I hate 285 with a passion (officially the deadliest highway in the U.S. now, based on fatalities per mile), but the actual AutoCool place was a good experience.

    They said they get about 1 DeLorean per year, so were decently familiar with the specifics of its AC system, and spent about 2 hours working on my car. They evacuated it, retrofitted R-134 fittings, and charged it with R-134, then leak tested for a while as best they could without having it on a lift or spending overnight on it. At the end, they told me they couldn't find any real leaks, the oil on the compressor didn't seem to be a problem, and that it should do ok for the foreseeable future. I sure hope they're right!! It blows cold as it ever did, and I was chilly on the way home, but admittedly it was only about 78 outside.

    He also told me I should start the car once a week even if I don't drive it, and run the AC for a few minutes, and that should keep it from leaking for as long as possible. Easier said than done, but I will sure try.

    They also said one of my radiator fans isn't coming on. Which is NOT normal, right?? The driver's side fan works, but not the passenger. It's not supposed to come on in stages as the engine gets hotter or anything, right? My temp needle has always been in the normal range, and the fan(s) have always kept it between the quarter and middle lines, and I don't have any sort of aftermarket fan-controller that I'm aware of. So that's weird.

    And finally, since no one responded to my original question in this thread about taking their car there, someone is in BIG TROUBLE!!! Not only did they say they get 1 DeLo per year, but this photo was on their wall of interesting customers:
    What they didn't tell you is that it is the same Delorean they see every year

    I had a fan seize solid on my DD a few years ago. I never noticed until the second one failed also and it started overheating in traffic, though it was fine one th interstate.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

  9. #19
    Senior Member DMCVegas's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2011

    Location:  Elsewhere

    Posts:    2,271

    My VIN:    6585

    Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    What they didn't tell you is that it is the same Delorean they see every year
    Robert

    Board Member, DeLorean Owners Association



    Recording Secretary
    Ask me how the DOA can help get the word out about your club's local car shows!

  10. #20
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Crystal Lake IL

    Posts:    4,943

    My VIN:    05429

    You can get away with one fan to cool the car most of the time, but the A/C really needs them both to work well.

    BTW if you run the A/C with both fans not working, in addition to overheating the car you will overpressure the system and if you are lucky, vent the Freon to air, if you are unlucky you'll pop a hose or worse.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •