FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Owner is Retiring, Parts for Sale!

My VIN:    3060

I was starting to wonder why it had been so long since the last public vendor fight on these boards. I'm glad I didn't miss this one. Now all we need is for VideoBob to enter the arena and take a few hits.

HI DP1 JOSH and ROB GRADY

Hi DPI JOSH and ROB GRADY,
    I really don’t know you guys, but I have taken a bit of time and done a little research on the internet and discovered that you repair DeLorean Automobiles and also sell them. That’s pretty neat. What I don’t understand is why you both are so up-tight with this Ed Bernstein guy. It seems that he is pretty much a has-been in the world of DeLorean cars. Someone wrote that he used to own a real estate company in Beverly Hills, California, but I think he is out of the business. Now, that’s a business I can identify with. From time to time during the past 5 years I have been purchasing, fixing-up and “flipping” houses in San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. I can certainly relate to your frustration regarding trying to negotiate the purchase of something for over a year and finally giving-up and walking away. If I were in your shoes, I would do the same thing. I have been in deals where the seller was a “dork” so I figured “the heck with him” and just walked away. Some of the deals were “very good” but it just wasn’t worth the effort!
    Since your negotiations with this Bernstein Dude have fallen apart and since this is a DeLorean Automobile Talk/Chat website, I think it would be of interest to everyone that Josh and Rob post their offers to purchase DeLorean One and DeLorean One’s written replies to their offers, so we can all evaluate the correspondence pertaining to the matter. To tell the truth, I can’t figure out any reason why either one of you would like to purchase his stuff if it has no value to you.
    I negotiate contracts all the time and from what I am reading on this DMC TALK website this is a “he said – she said” situation with no tangible evidence of an offer and/or acceptance. In addition, there are frivolous comments by those who are posting with no first-hand knowledge of the facts and what is going on.
    Josh said, “Between Grady and I we have both been willing to pay you more than a reasonable price. After watching him fight with you on price for the better part of a year I shouldn’t have wasted my time.”
    Rob said, “I spent a lot of time talking to Ed over the years and especially this last year trying to negotiate a fair deal on this inventory”.
    Please help me here fellas; were both of you trying to buy the DeLorean One inventory together as a team/partnership or individually as separate companies?
    Let’s post the offers and counter proposals on this internet DMC “chat-line” so we all can see for ourselves what transpired over the past several months and stop this “hearsay baloney”.
    We appear to be a bunch of fools to general public and you guys look like a couple of High School Track Runners that are that are mouthing-off around Campus because you want to go to the Prom with the Home Coming Queen and she turned you down because she wants to go to the Prom with the Captain of the Varsity Football Team. I’m Carter Wright, and that’s my position. [email protected]

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Carter, please do not double post. You will see I locked your other thread, and asked that guys take it to pm. After reading this thread fully, ill leave it open as the other vendors make valid points. Keep it civil, or I lock it down. Please do not plead your case in other forums, THIS is the one where you say what needs to be said. (Kindly and within reason)
    Ed's hard line approach earned him his reputation fair and square. That is the issue most people have with him. It was his business, so he he was free to do so. If he wants to successfully unload all inventory, the hard line approach should go, including giving a deal, to what he may think is already a deal.
    Soundkillr was here.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Thank you Ben for coming into this thread and trying to let the FNG know how things work around here. Would it be too much to ask to have Carter abide by the forum rules for posting things for sale as well? He clearly has not followed those rules either. Lots of this could have been avoided by posting exactly what is for sale with pics and prices as the rules dictate. It works for the rest of us that are "real", why not him?

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Good point, and i will look into that as well....
    Before i address that fully i will say this for now. Carter im sure your inventory list is large, but we would need a breakdown with prices to help in the aid of your sale. Perhaps you have a spreadsheet or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Thank you Ben for coming into this thread and trying to let the FNG know how things work around here. Would it be too much to ask to have Carter abide by the forum rules for posting things for sale as well? He clearly has not followed those rules either. Lots of this could have been avoided by posting exactly what is for sale with pics and prices as the rules dictate. It works for the rest of us that are "real", why not him?
    Soundkillr was here.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Since you went there..... for the record: Out of four available "Prom Dances" during my high school career I successfully "fully attended" with two "Prom Queens" during my four year tenure. Only missing out twice due to circumstances outside of my control. First being sophomore year after contracting mono and junior year after being suspended for going AWOL on a class trip at Disney world. (one for the books)
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Out of four available "Prom Dances" during my high school career I successfully "fully attended" with two "Prom Queens" during my four year tenure.
    Whaaaat???!! You're that guy?! If I had known that, I would've rallied a bunch of us nerds to dogpile you at DCS last year, bro...haha!

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Carter,

You see what is going on here is a reaction from an established community to Ed, a guy who treated people like crap for many years. He fancied himself a hero, but in the long run he was just self absorbed (somebody jump in here of I'm wrong). Now the community feels Ed is trying to pull his last scam by having an unknown presence suddenly appear as a neutral dude whose going to get Ed top dollar for his remaining inventory - because nobody but a saint would actually deal with Ed.

What Ed has failed to ever understand is that with each transaction he did over the years he was not only selling overpriced parts and services, he was also selling a part of his soul - something many of us can understand, but have opted not to do. He's not really liked by anyone - he just existed in a vacuum during a particular blip in time when he was the only option for people who had time, money and love tied up in their cars, and they had to deal with or lose all of that.

Now it has fallen upon you, an outsider to this community to step forward to sell his parts. Are you selling them for him as an agent, or did you buy the lot and are liquidating it for yourself. I don't think you'd mind answering this, as you have established yourself as a very open, and straightforward guy. The best way to distance yourself from someone who was actually just tolerated at best, is to start by really introducing yourself. Anonymity isn't a good card to play at this point, because Ed was such a jerk. Who are you?

Further - Ed has acted over the last couple years specifically like he was Gods Gift to Delorean salvage, and he wouldn't have to post actual photos even of the parts he was trying to sell. It sounds like he has passed this losing strategy on to you - but if you have been doing business as you say - you know that's not a working proposition.

My suggestion; really introduce yourself and tell us what your relationship to Ed is. Share your Linkedin or even Facebook, or your Blog. Reputation matters - especially in a morass swirling around the creepy business practices of Delorean One. People will certainly like and respect you more than Ed, and with that level of basic trust established you can look at trying to do some real business.

Then, tell us what you have, or what you are trying to sell on Ed's behalf. We need photos and prices, etc.

Finally you obviously have too much stuff to list completely - so how about an honest to goodness "Garage Sale" in the purest sense of the word. Let's pick a Saturday where you open the doors wide in Chatsworth, have a food truck come in (Ed would never give anyone free food), invite local owners to come over, along with business owners. If Cameron Wynn or Josh or Rob Grady comes in and buys everything at 8 am - then I'm sure they would hang out for the day and make it a Tech Day - they can pull parts off the pile and help owners on the spot as they come in, we can pay for parts on the spot. If you don't get a big bite, then just be prepared to make deals. Price things to sell - Ed never understood that its no longer a sellers market - so don't let him interfere. Whatever he told you this stuff is worth, your going to have to ignore him and be realistic. Have a day where you make good deals, give away a little food, let owners meet and share information and turn wrenches together - it's the most un-Ed-like thing you could do - it would put money in your pocket, and even Ed's, and give him one last chance to have a decent footnote in history as going out like a gentleman. Legacy matters - at this point maybe he's ready to acknowledge that.

Maybe Ed will even read this himself and step out of the shadows like a real man, not the Nosferatu of the Delorean World, and act like a member of a community for once.

What do you think Carter? Is there any hope?

Tom Tait
    (Find me on LinkedIn - I'm proud to be a real person)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    Good point, and i will look into that as well....
    Before i address that fully i will say this for now. Carter im sure your inventory list is large, but we would need a breakdown with prices to help in the aid of your sale. Perhaps you have a spreadsheet or something?
    There is no list as far as I know. Ed/Carter wouldn't give me one and said he had no time to make one. I will admit it wiould take a very long time to go through the boxes but most of them are core parts many of which are not worth rebuilding. The whole place is a total mess. He obviously never threw anything away. It's not a vender fight as Ed is no longer a vender. I am not fighting with him either. I'm just warning the forum members of the potential dangers of doing business with him. If that is something the members don't want to hear then I'll put a lid on it.

Btw he wanted me to restore four cars as part of the deal by sorting through his pile of crap for parts and tools. I'm guessing it would have taken two months to do that assuming the parts and tools were there and locatable. He wanted a full frame-off restoration on his half million mile car with another engine installed. He wanted a day or two on his daughters car. He had two customer cars he needed reassembled that he had been already paid to be fixed and any issues would be my liability. Oh I almost forgot he had been "parting out" these prepaid customer cars so they were missing thousands of dollars worth of major parts.

I'd estimate the "deal" he had in mind would have cost me over 200k in time, money, and labor plus many parts that I woud have had to supply to complete the restorations. If you've already bought parts from Ed some of you may be driving around now with parts that were "borrowed" from other owners. Leave it to Ed to sell the same parts two and three times. It was a shell game! Like I said...buyer beware. There is no fight here...only the facts.

Rob Grady

My VIN:    Custodian of 5307

Will The Real Carter Wright Please Stand UP

So

Ive got my popcorn here and enjoying the show. Reminds me of the old tv show.

Mr Wright there are those of us that have been around the circles for quite awhile nontheless the DeLorean community is a very small community.

Oh wait there are only possibly 6000- 9000 built cars although only about 6000 acounted for AND LOTS OF BANKRUPTCY INVENTORY that the cartel has........and only a few other "Dealers" of "stuff"

So anywhoo

you have only 6 postings and there is no evidence that you exist....unless Aliens have just puked out their DeLorean remnants possibly from the 3000 missing cars .................... the community knows who has the stuff

produce a list so that we all may be bidders

Or maybe we will flood your email with individual requests! yep I need about 1000 differents things please look forward to my emails!
    1988 3.2 Ferrari Mondial

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast