FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH alternator

My VIN:    03572

DMCH alternator

I installed a new DMCH alternater PN 110101.

When the engine is at idle with blower on #4, headlights on low beam and AC running the voltage is 14.2 volts but every 18 seconds there is a quick dip to 13.0 volts. It's like the alternator switches off every 18 seconds. I did not notice it with the accessorys turned off but the battery could be holding the voltage without the loads.

Is this normal for this alternator?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Dave,

I have the same alternator that I just ran for the first time yesterday and today, as I just got my engine running again. As I was watching the instruments like a hawk, I noticed a similar dip in the voltage gauge. I had my heat on full speed (to help bleed the cooling system), the radio, and the high beam headlights. It was a momentary dip and I didn't notice the accessory performance suffer. I did not time the dip or the interval, but I will next time I run the car.

Also, I read that with this alternator, the battery light blinks on startup as it is doing some checks, and then goes out after the car starts. Is that your experience as well?

Dana
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Did DMCH stop selling the Motorola 140 A alternator? The part # that was posted specifies a 120 A alternator.
    I ask because I had a Major charging issue start today.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Dave,

I have the same alternator that I just ran for the first time yesterday and today, as I just got my engine running again. As I was watching the instruments like a hawk, I noticed a similar dip in the voltage gauge. I had my heat on full speed (to help bleed the cooling system), the radio, and the high beam headlights. It was a momentary dip and I didn't notice the accessory performance suffer. I did not time the dip or the interval, but I will next time I run the car.

Also, I read that with this alternator, the battery light blinks on startup as it is doing some checks, and then goes out after the car starts. Is that your experience as well?

Dana
    Yes my battery light blinks with the key turned on and engine not running. I'm going to do some troubleshooting as I think of things to check. First thing I want to check is to feed the battery light wire with a bench supply and the light bulb just to verify that circuit is not glitching.
    Dave M vin 03572

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes my battery light blinks with the key turned on and engine not running. I'm going to do some troubleshooting as I think of things to check. First thing I want to check is to feed the battery light wire with a bench supply and the light bulb just to verify that circuit is not glitching.
    Normal operation for that unit.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I installed a new DMCH alternater PN 110101.

When the engine is at idle with blower on #4, headlights on low beam and AC running the voltage is 14.2 volts but every 18 seconds there is a quick dip to 13.0 volts. It's like the alternator switches off every 18 seconds. I did not notice it with the accessorys turned off but the battery could be holding the voltage without the loads.

Is this normal for this alternator?
    I have the same unit and it operates exactly the same way.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Me three...

The battery light blink is normal operation for this unit.
    I also have dips in voltage when the AC is running full on. Hasn't been a problem for daily use. I think it's a function of us comparing this car to our more modern daily drivers. IN all honesty I'm not sure that the instruments on modern cars are not just idiot appeasers... In other words, they don't display accurate data but rather go to "normal" operating readings at start-up just to make us think everything is OK.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The most important thing you can do when installing this, or any, alternator is to clean the grounds. This includes taking the alternator mount off the engine and cleaning the sides that contact the alternator and the back that contacts the engine. New hardware is a good idea too.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Grounds would not cause this 18 second cycle.

Using a bench power supply for the “battery light” circuit makes no change to that 18 second voltage dip.

Measuring current through a shunt on the alternator output the current is 64 amps at idle speed 950 RPM, blower on #4, Lights on low beam and AC on normal. Every 18 seconds that current dips quickly (less than 50 ms.) to 48 amps. It then rises linearly back to 64 amps in 1.2 seconds.

Measuring voltage with the same loads I get 14.7 volts with a dip every 18 seconds to 13.4 volts. The dip is more of a sine wave also for 1.2 seconds since the battery is supplying some power when the alternator switches to lower current.

I wonder why that alternator voltage regulator is doing that every 18 seconds.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 07-13-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Grounds would not cause this 18 second cycle.

Using a bench power supply for the “battery light” circuit makes no change to that 18 second voltage dip.

Measuring current through a shunt on the alternator output the current is 64 amps at idle speed 950 RPM, blower on #4, Lights on low beam and AC on normal. Every 18 seconds that current dips quickly (less than 50 ms.) to 48 amps. It then rises linearly back to 64 amps in 1.2 seconds.

Measuring voltage with the same loads I get 14.7 volts with a dip every 18 seconds to 13.4 volts. The dip is more of a sine wave also for 1.2 seconds since the battery is supplying some power when the alternator switches to lower current.

I wonder why that alternator voltage regulator is doing that every 18 seconds.
    It is very hard for the alternator to put out a lot of amps when the motor is not going fast. No alternator can put out it's full rated output at idle. My guess is to prevent overloading (and overheating) the alternator, the voltage regulator cycles it like the duty cycle of the A/C so it can handle the power without overheating. A better test would be at or above 1200 RPM. The alternator is a little "undocumented" especially when it comes to the blinking.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast