FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1981 Delorean DMC12 - Rare 1 of 7 Dupont painted cars

1981 Delorean DMC12 - Rare 1 of 7 Dupont painted cars

1981 Delorean DMC12, 18,964 original miles, Candy Apple Red over Black, 5 spd, 1 of 100 cars painted by Dupont and 1 of 7 painted Candy Apple Red. Own a piece of American Automotive History, Asking $40,000 or nearest offer.

Thank you for looking,

Christopher Murphy
    Attached Images

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Obvious question is obvious, Christopher - does it run?

History of car, in terms of any long term storage?

Photos of engine bay and particularly the frame will help you get your price.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    05927

Just wondering... What kind of documentation do you have that said it is 1 of 100 cars painted by DuPont? I have never seen that high of a number before, just that a few were sent to DuPont for testing. Looks nice though. Hope all goes well with the sale!

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Please provide the VIN. That will confirm the truth regarding the paint. There was only one red (not candy apple) car with documentation of factory authorization. And it has already been returned to stainless due to the owner not knowing the history. Two others, I think one black and one yellow. All 3 digit VIN cars in the 600 series I believe.

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Please provide the VIN. That will confirm the truth regarding the paint. There was only one red (not candy apple) car with documentation of factory authorization. And it has already been returned to stainless due to the owner not knowing the history. Two others, I think one black and one yellow. All 3 digit VIN cars in the 600 series I believe.
    The factory 'training cars' were VIN#00661 for red paint, VIN#00667 for black paint and VIN#00672 for yellow paint ...

Is is correct that al Dupont painted cars were Candy Apple red? I've seen a few now ( 04296, 10006, 10159 & 10169 ) and every one was that same color ...

I would also like to know the VIN of this one ...

Vin

The VIN is SCEDT26T6BD001760, it does run, I do not have documentation on it being a DuPont car although the person I bought the car from would not have purchased it if was a stainless car. It was in storage for the last eight years, we just completed a flush of the fluids, went through lighting, brakes, removed and resprayed the front and rear bumper covers, replaced all interior components that were needed and more.

From internet - One of the DeLorean dealers back in the day was owned by John DeLorean's brother and was located in Lakewood, Ohio. In 1982, this dealership bought more than 100 DeLorean cars, and painted several of them in "candy apple" colors with a unique striping pattern - at least some of them were also fitted with aftermarket turbochargers. No one we've found today knows just how many were done like this, but we know of about six of them that still exist, now 7. In addition there were also blue and purple cars done by DeLorean Cadillac.
    Last edited by CDMIntl; 07-15-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Next obvious question - where is the car located - Ohio?
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

nvm - I see you are in PA.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/5123242124.html

you may want to go ahead and take some engine and frame pictures (while it's on that lift); prospective buyers will surely want then as that is the achilies heel of these cars
    Dermot

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Imagine someone buys it and strips the paint off. It will be the rare 1 of 1 ex 1 of 7 painted DuPont cars
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    REDACTED

To my understandings, DeLorean Cadillac disassembled the body panels, and then painted all the panels off the car. This would ensure that the inside door jambs of the car were also painted...which this one is not. It is also missing the "hockey stick" graphics that the dealership installed on all the painted cars. This wasn't painted by DeLorean Cadillac...and without documentation of it from the dealer, I would steer clear.
    Just my two cents...
    Kolin Brown
    El Presidente
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513 (I think), 1.9L VW TDI (ALH) swap, UN1 trans, mechanical injection, Holset HE200WG turbo, Certified Shitbox
    Find me on Tubi! Rally North America

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry S. Truman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast