FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dent removal - Dry Ice?

soundkillr that's some amazing work! my hat is off to you sir!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    The one on the bonnet is not behind the FG. I heard that all I have to do is peel the carpet back and I can get access to the back. The rears, he will either get access through the edge of the wheel well or else as you say, drill holes through the pontoon.

Once she is registered on the road, will take it to a few places and see what they say.

They are tiny, but it kills me seeing them!
    As I said, I have the same problem and they drive me nuts too. Funnily enough, Most people can't even see them.

It's one of those things where if you know where to look...

Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by crazycro View Post
    Thank you sir! It was tough but worth it. To find a pleated hood with no x is no small feat. It was fix mine or go with a flat hood. I hate dents and it was driving me nuts. I took it off laid several blankets on the table followed by the hood, cranked the a/c in the house and got to it..
    Soundkillr was here.

Ice and Heat

I do not profess knowledge about the partial correction of "non flat SS". Have been told by an old time sheet metal man, SS has memory and wants to return to stamped condition."

"Level the damaged area with conventional tools as mush as possible, then heat the SS metal with a painters torch until very hot and immediately apply ice (this is prior to the era of dry ice)."

Obviously if interested, experiment on similar SS.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by H&A Byrne View Post
    I do not profess knowledge about the partial correction of "non flat SS". Have been told by an old time sheet metal man, SS has memory and wants to return to stamped condition."

"Level the damaged area with conventional tools as mush as possible, then heat the SS metal with a painters torch until very hot and immediately apply ice (this is prior to the era of dry ice)."

I also have "heard" that a carefull application of heat can return the metal to it's original shape.

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/c_body.htm

Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    If the dent is behind a brace, they may drill a small hole in the fiber glass for access, at which point you can refill and blend with SEM black. Really easy. I would leave the quarter on the car, because it needs to be hanging for leverage. Again, they may drill a small hole on the pontoon, that they can fill with rubber or plastic plugs...
    Before I bought my car a paintless tech who didnt know what he was doing, just about ruined the hood, I reworked the entire area. It was about the size of a silver dollar...
    wd40 or similar oil can be added to the panel to shine it up while the tech works....
    You can see an area on the hood I had to re blend (Its the cleaner area). Its been a few years, and now it all matches, but if you need to blend, and want a perfect match, re blend the whole panel.
    What specific tools did you use to repair the dent?

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Its nice to see that a dent on a D can be removed properly. I work for a car dealer and our PDR guy is really good and the results I see blow me away. I have a lot of respect for the work these guys do and the skill they have.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    What specific tools did you use to repair the dent?
    I used hand help pdr tools, but again I do this for a living. You really need to know what you are doing to repair it, especially with stainless.
    Soundkillr was here.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by crazycro View Post
    +1, incredible!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by H&A Byrne View Post

I use an infrared paint curing bulb/reflector, ice cold water and plenty of it. If it's not creased, sometimes you get lucky. That's no BS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast