FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Retrosound and/or new radio

Retrosound and/or new radio

I'm researching options for stereo replacement and most of the threads I found had information about stereos that were no longer available. I think I like the looks of the Retrosound units, but found some discussion (again, older threads) about how unreliable and short-lived they are. Has their quality improved? Or is there a discussion somewhere I missed that talks about what head units you guys are putting in your cars? I guess any discussion like this will eventually turn obsolete as companies discontinue items and such.

And on a related note, does anyone know the brand of speaker DMCH sells for the front?

Quote Originally Posted by TxGlenn View Post
    I'm researching options for stereo replacement and most of the threads I found had information about stereos that were no longer available. I think I like the looks of the Retrosound units, but found some discussion (again, older threads) about how unreliable and short-lived they are. Has their quality improved? Or is there a discussion somewhere I missed that talks about what head units you guys are putting in your cars? I guess any discussion like this will eventually turn obsolete as companies discontinue items and such.

And on a related note, does anyone know the brand of speaker DMCH sells for the front?
    I have 2 Retrosound radio's....One in my DeLorean and the other in my Trabant. I love them and thing the look and function of the radio's are great.

Just my opinion.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

DMCH used to sell NOS Craigs as well as the JVC Bongiovi. Now I'm not so sure. I have used the now extinct Infinity Kappa 3.5's up front as well as JBL 3.5's.

I have a completely refurbished Craig head unit if you're interested in staying original. It has an aux input for mp3 devices too.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post
    I have 2 Retrosound radio's....One in my DeLorean and the other in my Trabant. I love them and thing the look and function of the radio's are great.
    Just my opinion.
    That's nice to hear. They look good but I'd seen some not-so-good reviews, but not from anyone I knew. They are a bit pricy and I've kind of avoided testing them. It would be nice to conserve the original dash cut-out.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Lots of options for car audio... Here's more than you asked for.

Some people like the Kenwood KRC-3006. It's a two knob radio so it fits the factory frame without having to cut anything. It has a cassette deck and offers a 5 disc CD changer module. Both the head unit and CD changer show up on E-Bay from time to time. I don't have one but I've seen people recommend them here.

Of course if you want a modern head unit, the DMC franchises offer a replacement panel for the stock one that will allow for that and you can save your original one for future use or sell it of course.

Not sure what DMC sells for their replacement speakers now. In terms of aftermarket I've found some Boston speakers fit. Also, Infiniti Kappa line has fronts and rears that will work but they're discontinued. The issue is the rear speakers - they are an odd size that don't reproduce bass very well due to their shape and dimensions. The Infiniti Kappa was a round speaker (don't recall the size) which is better for bass. However, the configuration is said to be poor with the speakers firing sideways like they do. I guess you can't have everything unless you're willing to mod your parcel shelf area.

Finally annother favorite is to put a sub in the cubby behind the seat. I believe DMC CA has these ready to go.

For my part - I'm running a stock head unit with non functioning cassette, and the Infiniti speakers all around in their original locations. Is it underpowered and underwhelming - yep but I don't mind. Your milleage may vary.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    For my part - I'm running a stock head unit with non functioning cassette, and the Infiniti speakers all around in their original locations. Is it underpowered and underwhelming - yep but I don't mind. Your milleage may vary.
    Me too. Factory Craig, but I long ago hard-wired the display and glued the tape door shut. That way the display works. Some generic 3.5 inch speakers, and 4x10s in the back. Probably the Kickers that used to be common. Nothing special but I don't really drive the car to blow my ears out. The ergonomics of most modern radios drives me crazy.

I can tell the age of an owner by how much they put into the stereo.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

The Retrosound can be easily made to fit due to adjustable shafts.

In the DeLorean, I went with the one that has bluetooth and cell phone interface....Figured I was in there and since more and more places are making hands free the law I would just go all out...It also comes with 2 USB hook ups and 2 Aux inputs.

For speakers I am running Memphis all around. They make the stock sizes so the fit right in. I have always been a fan of Memphis, they make good sounds and quality. I'm also going to be hooking up a Memphis 1000D amp, Memphis sub and Memphis EQ.

In the Trabant, I am running the basic Retrosound, just Aux inputs and radio...I normally just plug my iphone into it...The car is 2 stroke and no a/c so there was no point in shelling out the extra cash to have something like bluetooth, between the noise of a 2-stroke motor and windows down, what's the point.

I have an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch amp with an 8in sub in the trunk and RF speakers all around.

Retrosound is a little more expensive (or a lot depending on options) but I'm happy with it.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Retrosound can be easily made to fit due to adjustable shafts.

In the DeLorean, I went with the one that has bluetooth and cell phone interface....Figured I was in there and since more and more places are making hands free the law I would just go all out...It also comes with 2 USB hook ups and 2 Aux inputs.

For speakers I am running Memphis all around. They make the stock sizes so the fit right in. I have always been a fan of Memphis, they make good sounds and quality. I'm also going to be hooking up a Memphis 1000D amp, Memphis sub and Memphis EQ.

In the Trabant, I am running the basic Retrosound, just Aux inputs and radio...I normally just plug my iphone into it...The car is 2 stroke and no a/c so there was no point in shelling out the extra cash to have something like bluetooth, between the noise of a 2-stroke motor and windows down, what's the point.

I have an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch amp with an 8in sub in the trunk and RF speakers all around.

Retrosound is a little more expensive (or a lot depending on options) but I'm happy with it.
    To get started, all 4 speakers should be replaced. They were not all that great and 30 years didn't improve them. The original radios were woefully inadequate with only 20 watts per channel and the tuner won't get stations unless they are high powered and nearby. There are so many choices and things you can add now, the catch is you need to go DIN. DMCH sells a DIN adapter but you have to chop up your dash. Take a look over at crutchfield.com for ideas and prices. It is all about your budget, you can go crazy or you can go conservative. There are even places you can send your old unit and they can gut it and fill it with modern electronics and features.
    David Teitelbaum

Cool NOS Craig Radio's

Quote Originally Posted by TxGlenn View Post

I would have to check, but at one point I had like 4 or 5 NOS Craig radios if anyone is interested. I'll check tomorrow, DMCH is selling them for $610. I'd be willing to part with one or two of them for $595 including shipping to the US: )

Just my opinion.
    Justin - Would you mind posting a pic of your installed radio in your D?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast