FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Retrosound and/or new radio

Quote Originally Posted by TxGlenn View Post
    Justin - Would you mind posting a pic of your installed radio in your D?
    I don't mind at all...I'll go out and do it in shortly.....My car is in a little disarray right now but you'll get a good idea

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

I can tell the age of an owner by how much they put into the stereo.
    Hey! Not sure how to take that...

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The original radios were woefully inadequate with only 20 watts per channel....
    If I may interject here...

This comes up fairly often. The original Craig and ASI will drive 4 speakers to the threshold of pain just fine, and sound great in the process. Having less power does mean the point of distortion is lower if you take overall amplitude into consideration, but for most owners (dare I say 90%?) we don't drive around even close to that volume most of the time.

I'm an audio engineer and producer by trade. I know what my ears can tell me. I don't care what the math says, I care about what I hear.

If you supplement a good, functional OEM deck with great speakers, a mono amp to drive an 8" sub, you're in audio flavour country. It's such a tiny space, more than 5 speakers is simply overkill. This of course is just my opinion. If anyone is ever in my next of the woods, they are more than welcome to sit in my car and have the factory ASI make their ears bleed while they marvel at how good it sounds.

In fact, perhaps I'll get my loudness meter out and get an SPL reading at and just before the point of distortion.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post

In the Trabant, I am running the basic Retrosound, just Aux inputs and radio...I normally just plug my iphone into it...The car is 2 stroke and no a/c so there was no point in shelling out the extra cash to have something like bluetooth, between the noise of a 2-stroke motor and windows down, what's the point.

I have an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch amp with an 8in sub in the trunk and RF speakers all around.

Retrosound is a little more expensive (or a lot depending on options) but I'm happy with it.
    Are you in the U.S.A. Or Europe?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    If I may interject here...

This comes up fairly often. The original Craig and ASI will drive 4 speakers to the threshold of pain just fine, and sound great in the process. Having less power does mean the point of distortion is lower if you take overall amplitude into consideration, but for most owners (dare I say 90%?) we don't drive around even close to that volume most of the time.

I'm an audio engineer and producer by trade. I know what my ears can tell me. I don't care what the math says, I care about what I hear.

If you supplement a good, functional OEM deck with great speakers, a mono amp to drive an 8" sub, you're in audio flavour country. It's such a tiny space, more than 5 speakers is simply overkill. This of course is just my opinion. If anyone is ever in my next of the woods, they are more than welcome to sit in my car and have the factory ASI make their ears bleed while they marvel at how good it sounds.

In fact, perhaps I'll get my loudness meter out and get an SPL reading at and just before the point of distortion.
    For the most part I agree BUT. When you get the heavy bass hits you don't need a lot of volume to get distortion. Also, unless you replace the speakers it really doesn't matter what you do. The main reason IMHO to replace the ASI or Craig is to get some (or all) of the modern functionality. It also depends on just how much you are going to be driving the Delorean and what you want the infotainment to do, and of course, your budget.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It also depends on just how much you are going to be driving the Delorean and what you want the infotainment to do.

This.

In my case, after having XM in my daily driver, I've come to despise regular radio and the endless talking/laughing at stupid jokes, etc that comes with it, not to mention the commercials. If I had a way to make cassettes, I'd probably just stick with the Craig. Bluetoothing my Ipod though is a very nice option to have.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

I installed a Retrosound Model One radio in my DeLorean. I like the look of it - but very disappointed in the sound quality. Best I describe is that it sounds "flat". The speaker wiring was replaced and installed new Infinity Kappa speakers when I replaced the head unit. Now looking for other options for the head unit and really don't want to cut or replace the existing bracket. The radio in my base model work truck sounds a lot better!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Retrosound and/or new radio

Ran some (hardly scientific, but kinda scientific) tests this evening.

ASI with infinity kappas, pioneer mono amp and an infinity 8" sub. iPod hard wired into asi.

Approx 103 dB as a maximum volume without audible distortion. Beyond this point was purely distortion and no noticeable or measurable increase in amplitude.

That's loud. Consider that 115 dB is up close and personal at a live rock show. Hearing damage occurs at sustained levels between 85 and 90 dB. Granted it's a logarithmic scale, so the spl between two values on one end of the spectrum is vastly different than the other. Still, that's loud.
    Last edited by sdg3205; 07-26-2015 at 12:12 AM.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Lots of options for car audio... Here's more than you asked for.

Some people like the Kenwood KRC-3006. It's a two knob radio so it fits the factory frame without having to cut anything. It has a cassette deck and offers a 5 disc CD changer module. Both the head unit and CD changer show up on E-Bay from time to time. I don't have one but I've seen people recommend them here.

Of course if you want a modern head unit, the DMC franchises offer a replacement panel for the stock one that will allow for that and you can save your original one for future use or sell it of course.

Not sure what DMC sells for their replacement speakers now. In terms of aftermarket I've found some Boston speakers fit. Also, Infiniti Kappa line has fronts and rears that will work but they're discontinued. The issue is the rear speakers - they are an odd size that don't reproduce bass very well due to their shape and dimensions. The Infiniti Kappa was a round speaker (don't recall the size) which is better for bass. However, the configuration is said to be poor with the speakers firing sideways like they do. I guess you can't have everything unless you're willing to mod your parcel shelf area.

Finally annother favorite is to put a sub in the cubby behind the seat. I believe DMC CA has these ready to go.

For my part - I'm running a stock head unit with non functioning cassette, and the Infiniti speakers all around in their original locations. Is it underpowered and underwhelming - yep but I don't mind. Your milleage may vary.

Cheers
    Steven
    The KRC-3006 is the best dual shaft/knob head unit available. I have one in my 61 Vette, I had one in my 79 Vette (I decided I wanted Bluetooth since it's a daily driver), and installed one in a friend's DeLorean. The unit sounds fantastic. When using 150Hz bass blockers (which should be running on theist smaller speakers, especially if they're not in a sealed mount), it will drive 4 speakers as loud as you can handle without distortion. It also has RCA outputs for the rear speakers that can be used for a sub, etc.

A few things I'd like to clarify, though. The KRC-3006 can handle up to a 10 disc changer. The CD changer port can also be used as an aux adapter (for iPods, etc) using an adapter. The ability to have an aux input makes the unit very useful, and because the input is hard wired, it sounds perfect.

Custom Autosound bought the tooling and design of the 3006 and made an exact clone of it for a few years. So, those may pop up if you search for the Kenwood unit on eBay.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

My VIN:    06369

Quote Originally Posted by TxGlenn View Post
    This.

In my case, after having XM in my daily driver, I've come to despise regular radio and the endless talking/laughing at stupid jokes, etc that comes with it, not to mention the commercials. If I had a way to make cassettes, I'd probably just stick with the Craig. Bluetoothing my Ipod though is a very nice option to have.
    There's a Bluetooth cassette adapter that works ok. I used it for a week, but only long enough to tide me over until I started ripping everything apart. Currently, my garage looks line my car vomited it's guts everywhere. Hopefully I'll have it all installed in a week!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast