FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Automatic transmission hookups?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Automatic transmission hookups?

I'm slowly hooking up my 3.0L engine, and am trying to figure out how to connect the automatic transmission up. The first thing I need to figure out is what the components do, and where they connected on the 2.8L engine.

Specifically:
    • WOT microswitch: Seems straight forward enough: the switch should be engaged when the throttle is open all the way so that the transmission can kick down a gear for passing on the highway and such.
    • Throttle cable to transmission governor: Not entirely sure what this is for, exactly. Does the governor care about the exact position, or just the wide open position? If the latter, it would just be a switch, right?
    • Vacuum line to the vacuum modulator on the forward end of the trnasmission: Where does this connect to the vacuum system in the 2.8L configuration, and how should it be hooked up?

I think that's it, unless someone knows of something I missed.

I'm also wondering what people do for the charcoal canister with MegaSquirt, or more specifically how they empty the canister via a purge valve solenoid, but I guess that's for another thread.

Thanks!

-- Joe

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I'm slowly hooking up my 3.0L engine, and am trying to figure out how to connect the automatic transmission up. The first thing I need to figure out is what the components do, and where they connected on the 2.8L engine.

Specifically:
    • WOT microswitch: Seems straight forward enough: the switch should be engaged when the throttle is open all the way so that the transmission can kick down a gear for passing on the highway and such.
    • Throttle cable to transmission governor: Not entirely sure what this is for, exactly. Does the governor care about the exact position, or just the wide open position? If the latter, it would just be a switch, right?
    • Vacuum line to the vacuum modulator on the forward end of the trnasmission: Where does this connect to the vacuum system in the 2.8L configuration, and how should it be hooked up?

I think that's it, unless someone knows of something I missed.

I'm also wondering what people do for the charcoal canister with MegaSquirt, or more specifically how they empty the canister via a purge valve solenoid, but I guess that's for another thread.

Thanks!

-- Joe
    The throttle cable tells the shift computer what the load is on the motor and picks the correct gear accordingly. The vacuum line softens the shifts. Connect it to the intake manifold. Get out your Workshop Manual and read up on the auto trans.
    David Teitelbaum

Vacuum: Can I splice it into the same vacuum line that goes to the vacuum reservoir and the brake booster? My searching through the workshop, parts and technical manuals weren't terribly helpful in showing where that connected on the 2.8L engine (or I'm just looking in the wrong place), and I can't remember where I took it off of when I pulled the engine out of the car.

Throttle cable: Ah, that makes sense. I don't expect that to be a problem to hook up.

Thanks

-- Joe

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Vacuum: Can I splice it into the same vacuum line that goes to the vacuum reservoir and the brake booster? My searching through the workshop, parts and technical manuals weren't terribly helpful in showing where that connected on the 2.8L engine (or I'm just looking in the wrong place), and I can't remember where I took it off of when I pulled the engine out of the car.

Throttle cable: Ah, that makes sense. I don't expect that to be a problem to hook up.

Thanks

-- Joe
    It should be run separately so nothing else affects it. IMHO that line is too small also for all of that. It *could* be tapped into the line going to the brake booster that one is big enough.
    David Teitelbaum

Adding a "T" to the brake booster line sounds easy enough. Thanks.

-- Joe