FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting question for the pros...

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes.
    Plunger/button down (pushed toward the box) grounds the fuel pump, allowing pump to run when it sees voltage.
    Other position opens the ground circuit, stops pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    ...Is [down = run] and [up = shutdown] normal operation for the inertia switch?....
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3937

So I’m thinking the inertia switch is bad. Not broken as in keeping the FP from running, but allowing it to keep running in either position.

Is [down = run] and [up = shutdown] normal operation for the inertia switch? Or is it the opposite?

Thomas

The way I think of it, is that it goes in the direction gravity is going.

If you're cruising along normally, then it points down (or sits in the down position).

If some sort of crazy accident finds you and the car upside down in the rhubarb, it still points towards gravity, but this time is up relative to the car.

The idea being it should kill your fuel pump and shut off the engine. And unlock your door locks automatically.

That was one of two recalls coming into play on the inertia switch. To move it to the side instead of on the front. Apparently a well placed whack with something hard right in the front left wheel well would get the switch to pop the plunger up and unlock your doors. Not terribly secure from a bad guy perspective.

Curious then Thomas, what do your door locks do? Is your electrical stuff disconnected at the moment? Or are they working ok with the power feature?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

... after I had a chance to get to it this weekend.

I inspected all fuses, and cleaned #1 & 7, although they looked ok. I inspected the fuel pump electrical wires/connections, and again all looked ok. Next I inspected the inertia switch. Yes on the white paint splotch, and mounted on the side of the footwell. However the switch was in the down position. So I moved the plunger up, and the engine started up fine, just like old times (which I thought the plunger should have been down).

So I’m thinking the inertia switch is bad. Not broken as in keeping the FP from running, but allowing it to keep running in either position.

Is [down = run] and [up = shutdown] normal operation for the inertia switch? Or is it the opposite?

Thomas

If it runs with the plunger up that means either:
    The switch is bad
    The switch is not hooked up (or jumped out).
    The problem could certainly be related to this so you should try to get that switch to work.
    David Teitelbaum

The wires on the inertia switch are on the bottom ? - which is the correct position.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes.

Plunger on top, wires/plug on bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post
    The wires on the inertia switch are on the bottom ? - which is the correct position.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Starting question for the pros...

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If it runs with the plunger up that means either:
    The switch is bad
    The switch is not hooked up (or jumped out).
    The problem could certainly be related to this so you should try to get that switch to work.
    My suspicion would be the wires at the inertia switch are not in the correct position.

The fuel pump circuit is (N/C) with plunger down.

The door lock circuit is (N/O) with plunger down.

When the plunger is up the opposite it true.

Swap positions between the Black/purple and the Brown/pink double wire terminal at the inertia switch.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-03-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    My suspicion would be the wires at the inertia switch are not in the correct position.

The fuel pump circuit is (N/C) with plunger down.

The door lock circuit is (N/O) with plunger down.

When the plunger is up the opposite it true.

Swap positions between the Black/purple and the Brown/pink double wire terminal at the inertia switch.
    Good thinking. Would guess his ECU for the door locks is disconnected also.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

After rereading this thread from the top. Thomas said, the FP ran with the switch plunger in both positions. If this is truly the case, then David's suggestions would be more plausible.

A photo of the switch and wire connections would helpful here.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Would guess his ECU for the door locks is disconnected also.
    Yep, good call. The door locks haven't worked since I got the car. And to tell you the truth, it never bothered me. I manually lock the doors anyway, and I was always a bit worried about getting locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    After rereading this thread from the top. Thomas said, the FP ran with the switch plunger in both positions. If this is truly the case, then David's suggestions would be more plausible.

A photo of the switch and wire connections would helpful here.
    Here is a picture. A little blurry (sorry about that) but should do.

DeLo-Inertia-Switch.jpg

And the car just now started up just fine, did not die, with the plunger up.

Thomas

Attached Images
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Boy, it's really tough to get a handle on it from the photo. The extra tape wrap seems suspicious.

Can you try again much closer.

Also did you try starting with the plunger down?
    DENNIS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast