FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My improved trunk carpet!

My VIN:    3305

My improved trunk carpet!

Hi buddies! Lately I've been installing Toby&Misty shock tower brace and it went very well. Installation is easy and support from T&M is awesome! They're really special and magic people, always ready to help you and give advices!

I preferred their bar over the traditional straight one because I did not want to have the bar coming over the carpet and between luggages. Instead, I wanted it to be underneath the carpet and not interferring with spare tyre removal. The benefits are cool: now when I brake I go straight without shaking, then on bumps the steering wheel stays still and generally speaking I feel the front end much stable. I can't tell about stability on high speeds and while turning, since I don't go that fast.

2015-06-24 15.24.13.jpg2015-06-24 17.20.34.jpg2015-06-24 17.20.41.jpg2015-06-24 17.20.51.jpg

Anyway I did not like how the original carpet was sitting in the trunk with the brace on. It was just too high, the whole assembly shaked and it was hitting the mounting bolts. I wanted to create something that could embrace the new surface better, soft and plain at the same time.

So I ended up designing a new concept for the trunk carpet. At first I took some inner and outer measurements, then I reported that distances on a special fabric which is hard and soft together, it's usually used to insulate rooms in the construction industry. It's something like that:

b_prodotti-14099-rel51779e47-8076-4d3b-9aa6-5ad19868ce0a.JPG

I did two layers of the wooden original outline and 2 more layers where the peak of the brace was higher. Doing this, I tried to create a plain surface where to put the carpet. When everything was done, I glued all togheter and I put a brand new black carpet which is wider than the original one, covering all the trunk area without any "air" on the borders and angles. Also, I cut the original wood and put it where the spare tyre is, because I needed a hard surface there.

And voilĂ*! Now the carpet sits perfectly straight, with no "valleys" and no "mountains". It's soft but hard at the same time and it's completely over the trunk area! I'm VERY satisfied with the result. I also have to thank my technical partner Jack, who helped me realizing this idea from scratch!!

Random pics now!

q.jpgw.jpge.jpgr.jpgt.jpgy.jpgu.jpgo.jpgp.jpga.jpgs.jpgd.jpgf.jpgg.jpgh.jpgj.jpgk.jpgl.jpgz.jpgx.jpg

Nicely done!

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

classy

My VIN:    16409

How much space is between the shock tower brace and the spare tire? I use a full size spare from a Chrysler so my spare sits higher than the original.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Very awesome. Can you send some measurements or is it better to completely customize it?
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

That looks really sharp!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Is the top layer padding? Or is it something hard?

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Very nicely done indeed!
    -Jeff

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I like that a lot G.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Nice!!
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast