FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Coolant hose replacement

My VIN:    16882.

Coolant hose replacement

I have to replace my left side coolant hose - the A/C compressor jumped out and bit it! I'm having a shop do it for two reasons: 1.) because I don't have a way of catching coolant at home and 2.) as a means of meeting a new mechanic in case I need something bigger performed locally in the future. I do not have a self bleeder. Question: what advice should I be giving this mechanic regarding how to replace the hose with the least amount of coolant loss and, how to bleed the system afterward? Thank you.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

To be honest, you are going to lose a majority of your coolant when you remove that hose. I suppose you could try and minimize loss by elevating the rear of the car, but perhaps you should view this as an opportunity to drain and refill the entire cooing system.

Depending on how old the other hoses are, it might be a good idea to take care of them at the same time with the system drained. Otherwise, you will just have to do it again later on.

Just my .02
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    but perhaps you should view this as an opportunity to drain and refill the entire cooing system.
    I would tend to agree here if your coolant is 2 - 2.5+ yrs old. It's an opportune time to flush and replace. You don't necessarily need a bleeder setup it just makes it easier. Just explain to the mechanic that these cars need a little more TLC when burping and purging all of the air out of the system. Any good mechanic will...actually "should" understand this.
    -Jeff

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If you have an original plastic tank radiator it won't have a drain valve. You will just have too loosen one of the short connector hoses to let the coolant out. Typically aftermarket replacement radiators have a drain valve.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    If you have an original plastic tank radiator it won't have a drain valve. You will just have too loosen one of the short connector hoses to let the coolant out. Typically aftermarket replacement radiators have a drain valve.
    If you still have the OEM plastic radiator it is very brittle and if you are not careful you can break the tanks or just the fittings off. If it has any green staining it should be replaced. You bleed at the thermostat housing and you loosen the small hose on the top, right side of the rad with a pressure tester pumped up a little to put some pressure on the system. The header tank should be 1/2 full cold. Probably best to replace ALL the hoses and the coolant. Make sure the hose is held away from the A/C belt so it doesn't cut into it on the underside. Test the pressure cap. If you have the plastic header tank you should replace it.
    David Teitelbaum